Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

0 An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template

• 0 An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template

Posted 5 years 3 weeks ago
    • This particular issue seems to be server related, but at the same time I'm not sure if it's related to an issue in Gantry at all so I thought I'd share it here.

This issue has cropped up a few times for us over the past few months unexpectedly. Through my use of the updown.io service I'm able to tell when it started, but generally it hadn't been resolved automatically on its own (restarting the web server process seems to fix the issue).

Last night it occurred again, but it seemed to resolve itself automatically after about two hours which was an improvement, but again I just wanted to share here since it is a bit odd overall and was wondering if there might be some extra details that could be shared about what could possibly cause this sort of problem (it may not be Gantry related at all and just be a server side issue, but if the team has knowledge about what causes it that'd be helpful to know just to understand the cause a bit further).

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Above is the screenshot of how the content pages across our site end up looking after the issue crops up. It's odd because the site itself loads more or less ok (the menus, sidebars, and modules are showing up ok...it's mainly the content body section that isn't being output correctly only). Additionally, the title tag of the page gets updated with the error string instead and I believe the HTTP response code becomes a 500 as well.

Thanks for any extra insight you might be able to provide about what could cause this for me!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: 0 An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template

• Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: 0 An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template

• Thanks for the reply, but that shouldn't be necessary in this case I would think, particularly because the issue isn't being demonstrated at this moment on the site.

I was just hoping that this might have been an issue you guys were already aware of that had possibly been troubleshooted before (or was a known sporadic issue) and could provide some extra details or suggestions about it.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I was going to check all your software versions and configuration but if you don't want me to look then that's fine. The only time we have ever had that reported before it was out of date software.

Sorry but I don't have any other suggestions.

I hope that you find a solution.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: 0 An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template

• Thanks,

I don't think it would be out of date software in this case (Joomla is up to date, my extensions too, and I'm running PHP 7.3). I did see some past threads in here that sounded somewhat similar (though not exactly the same) that seemed to be resolved with updates to the Gantry Framework, but in my case I'm up to date on that front already.

I did reach out to the service provider providing the control panel interface about the issue first and after the last time it occurred they provided the following response:
      The root cause of this issue is the PHP-fpm process.

There are three most likely causes:

A bug in the app's PHP code, such as a buggy WordPress plugin
      A bug in a PHP extension you've added to your server
      Your server running out of memory

The most common cause of these errors is buggy PHP code in your app.

The best solution is to disable all WordPress plugins, custom themes, and other custom code until you identify which code is causing the problem.
      Even if you haven't identified the cause of the problem, you may be able to get your app working again by restarting PHP.

I wish the issue was easier to reproduce so it could be troubleshooted more effectively, but unfortunately it just seems to happen sporadically, and I don't know exactly what code on the PHP end could cause an issue with the PHP-fpm process.

Regarding the server side of things, the server has 32 GB of RAM (and it's a more dedicated instance and only 3 GB of RAM is currently being used) and it only has the standard PHP extensions that you would expect to be enabled and it's only running this one site.

No worries about not being able to provide any suggestions at this point, if I find a true fix I'll try and update here so the topic might be helpful to someone else experiencing the same issue.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Do not use php 7.3 at this time. It is too new and has many known bugs (in php itself). This could well be the reason for your issue.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds