Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Linking to Outline but maintaining SEO Article Links

• Linking to Outline but maintaining SEO Article Links

Posted 4 years 11 months ago
    • Server Details (Linux/Windows, Hosting service, etc)localhost (XAMPP)
      PHP version7.2.5
      Platform (name and version)Windows 10 64bit
      Template/Extension (name and version)Gantry5 Hydrogen
      Link to the IssueNo link available

Hi,

I am having an issue when it comes to Articles, Categories and Outlines.

Edit: I believe my problem can be summarised as follows:
      Edit: I want my Category and Article Menu Items to link to an Outline. My Articles and Categories require Articles Menu Item Types to be linked, but I do not want to make use of Articles Menu Item Types as I am using UIKit to list Categories and Articles. It seems that I need to have hidden versions of Articles Menu Item Types created somehow.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

I have a Main Menu with HOME - BLOG ("blog)"
      BLOG has two Children: WEB ("web") and ("software")

BLOG, WEB and SOFTWARE are also Article Categories, with BLOG being the Parent, WEB and SOFTWARE being the Children of BLOG. Articles are only created in the Children Categories (WEB and SOFTWARE).

When I click BLOG, WEB or SOFTWARE from the Main Menu, I want them to link to Outlines through the Menu Item option of "Gantry 5 Themes >> Custom Page". I have already created the inidviudal Outlines (BLOG outline, BLOG WEB outline and BLOG SOFTWARE outline). I do not, under any circumstances, want to show Joomla's Article Menu Item Types (Archived Articles, Category Blog, Category List etc.) as I want to be making use of UIKit3 to list my Categories and Articles.

This however creates a problem for my Articles which will now not link correctly because I do not have Categories/Articles linked through the Main Menu (e.g. Articles >> Category List). In fact, they will not show at all unless I revert my Menu Items to Article Menu Item Types.

I have tried to create a Hidden Menu ("blog-hidden") which would have hidden links to Category Lists (one for BLOG, one for WEB and one for SOFTWARE), however this is not working for me as articles will resolve to:
      mysite.com/blog-hidden/11-blog/web/8-my-article

In short, I need my menu items to link and show the following:

BLOG - mysite.com/blog/ Shows my BLOG outline without a Articles Menu Item Type
      BLOG -> WEB - mysite.com/blog/web/ Shows my WEB outline without a Articles Menu Item Type
      BLOG -> SOFTWARE - mysite.com/blog/software/ Shows my SOFTWARE outline without a Articles Menu Item Type

An article from SOFTWARE would show as: mysite.com/blog/software/my-software-article

Edit: I need to basically have the Articles Menu Item Type exist somewhere but not accessible by the User. This is only so that my Articles will resolve to the correct URL.

I do have the pro extension sh404sef if this might help me find a solution. It is currently disabled as I do not want it complicating matters for me while I try and resolve this.

Thank you for your time. I apologise if my issue is not explained correctly, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to explain my issue.

M
    • Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Martin Kruger. Reason: Adding info
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Linking to Outline but maintaining SEO Article Links

Posted 4 years 11 months ago
    • You can lose the numbers in the links by changing Joomla article routing from "legacy" to "modern". But if you call the hidden blog item "blog-hidden" then that is what will appear in the url - so rename it.

global config > article > integration > url routing.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds