Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry 5.4 upgrade to 5.5 Crashed

• DerronW
    • Rocketeer

Gantry 5.4 upgrade to 5.5 Crashed

Posted 2 years 6 months ago
    • One of my techs updated to the newest version of Gantry. The whole site went down and gave the error below.
      An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template ("CSS Compilation on file 'callisto.scss' failed on error: Incompatible units rem and px.: media/gantry5/engines/nucleus/scss/nucleus/mixins/_breakpoints.scss on line 25, at column 94 Call Stack: #0 mixin breakpoint templates/rt_callisto/scss/callisto/_header.scss on line 7 #1 import templates/rt_callisto/scss/callisto/_header.scss templates/rt_callisto/scss/callisto.scss on line 23 #2 import templates/rt_callisto/scss/callisto.scss (unknown file) on line 1").

I was able to uninstall Gantry 5.5 and reinstall 5.4 that came with our template to bring up the site. However, all the menu items on the site don't work and its pretty much just a shell of the site before. Any ideas of help would be amazing.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Gantry 5.4 upgrade to 5.5 Crashed

• DerronW
    • Rocketeer

• Since the update was already ran. We uninstalled 5.5 and reinstalled 5.4 is there a way to recover?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Only use the backup that you took before you did the update - you did take one, right? Did you clear browser and server cache after reinstalling g5.4? Really g5 to g5.5 us a one way trip.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • DerronW
    • Rocketeer

• A backup was not done on the db but it was done on the files. The update wasn't suppose to be done without me but it was nonetheless.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Oh dear. A full backup would need to have been taken (for files and db). Restoring just files won’t fix it. What error are you getting after you reinstalled g5.4.x and cleared caches?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Barbara

• Derron,
      I had a similar, but slightly different issue that may help you or others.
      My client upgraded to Gantry 5.5 and crashed her entire site. The error was:
      An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template ("CSS Compilation on file 'gemini.scss' failed on error: $amount: 1 - number('0.9') is not a number.: templates/rt_gemini/scss/gemini/sections/_overlay.scss on line 2, at column 5 Call Stack: #0 import templates/rt_gemini/scss/gemini/sections/_overlay.scss templates/rt_gemini/scss/gemini.scss on line 47 #1 import templates/rt_gemini/scss/gemini.scss (unknown file) on line 1").

The offending line in _overlay.scss was:
          background: fadeout($overlay-background, 1 - number($overlay-opacity)); 
      Note that it was actually in two locations, Of course, I had to fix both of them.

After reviewing the Helium and Hydrogen themes, I see that RT removed all (as far as I can tell) calculations that include "number(...)" and replaced them with hard-coded values (0.9, as $overlay-opacity = 0.1), so that's what I did as well. Worked like a charm.

So based on what you posted above, I recommend reviewing your scss files (_breakpoints.scss, _header.scss, callisto.scss, and any others that define breakpoints, such as those in the /scss/configuration/ folder). Then determine which ones appear to have conflicting units (rem vs. px) and make them common (i.e. convert px to rem, or rem to px).

Yours is certainly more tricky than my problem, but hopefully this helps.

Cheers!
      Stuart
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Barbara Bauman - thanks for you input but I would add that is only scratching the surface of all the changes we have to make to themes. There are many other things that won't work either if you prematurely update to Gantry 5.5. My advice remains that you should wait to update to G5.5 until such time as we also release the appropriate theme update (comaptible with G5.5).

Regards, Mark.
    • Barbara

• Mr.T,
      Thanks for clarifying. I certainly didn't mean to imply that all problems could be fixed as easily as mine and certainly not that people should upgrade without testing first. The folks reading this thread are probably ones who, for one reason or another, find themselves with G5.5 and a broken site.

I'm sure a lot went into the changes. Based on your comments, it sounds like I got off lucky. It could have been much worse.
    • The following users have thanked you: MrT

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds