Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Disappointed in the Gantry 5.5 release manner

• Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

Disappointed in the Gantry 5.5 release manner

Posted 2 years 6 months ago
    • We use Watchful to do auto updates of all our Joomla sites. The auto updates also include Gantry updates, both Gantry 4 and Gantry 5. As these are different extensions, there is never an issue of updating a Gantry 4 template to Gantry 5.

However, with Gantry 5.5, this all changed. We had many issues with our Gantry 5 sites, as noted in your announcement, which we first read on October 16. We reverted sites with backups to the day before the update, but on busy sites, that lost a number of days of edits. Clients were not happy.

We know that this is now water under the bridge, but we feel that Gantry 5.5 should have been released as Gantry 6, eliminating the possibility of auto upgrades from Gantry 5.4.37 to Gantry 5.5 (6). Quite frankly, this still might not be a bad idea, as there will be others that discover broken sites too late because of auto updates.
    • The following users have thanked you: nickyv, Justin Geering

• Dan Walker - Web Designer & Developer @ Top Webs Network
      Custom Joomla & Wordpress Websites
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Disappointed in the Gantry 5.5 release manner

• Thank you for your comments - I've passed these along to our development team.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Joombler
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Dan Walker wrote:
      Clients were not happy
      From my experience you best never auto update Gantry before reading the comments on that. Personally I think that any auto update is a bad idea at all.
      Dan Walker wrote:
      ... but we feel that Gantry 5.5 should have been released as Gantry 6, eliminating the possibility of auto upgrades from Gantry 5.4.37 to Gantry 5.5 (6).
      Totally agree on this.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I've passed the comment along to the DEVS for consideration. But, just from my own personal viewpoint, I would never has anything auto update to the latest versions because no software developer is perfect and I would want to understand (via the changelog) what is in those updates before applying them. This has been a hard learned lesson for me for all the times a Joomla/Wordpress update has killed my sites, or a Microsoft update has broken my PC, or an Apple update has broken my phone. Just for clarity, I am not comparing the Gantry 5 development team to Apple or Microsoft... they're just a small team doing their best (as is RT), and they're fallible like the rest of us.

Could and should things have been done better? Yes - rest assured everyone feels pretty bad about this and they are working hard to find resolutions and avoid this happening again in the future.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Suls

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Disappointed in the Gantry 5.5 release manner

• We disabled all the update sites just to prevent accidental updates.

Auto-updates are the devil but fat fingers are nearly as bad.

That said, I hope in the future major updates I separate from the production update feed at least for a while when such major changes are required to go along with it.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• The G5.5 update is suspended from Joomla updater temporarily until we resolve the issues. We're also intending to suspend it from GRAV and WP updates too.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Justin Geering

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds