Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Can't log-in with Safari

Can't log-in with Safari

Posted 17 years 11 months ago
    • I've had PNG (Fireworks files) download problems with OmniWeb and Mac Firefox. So I wanted to try Safari. Problem: I can't log-in to this site with Safari. When I enter my username and password in the home page log-in module and submit it, I get this:

Safari can’t open the page.
      Too many redirects occurred trying to open BROKEN LINK REMOVED. This might occur if you open a page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected to open the original page.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Kat05.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Can't log-in with Safari

• Very strange, i'm using safari right now and have never had a problem. Try clearing your cache in safari.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Also, do you have a proxy server or firewall that might be causing issues?

• Andy Miller wrote:
      Also, do you have a proxy server or firewall that might be causing issues?

OK, it was my fault, but it raises an interesting point:

Somehow, Safari got configured to Accept Cookies "Never." Don't know how that happened, because I didn't knowingly change that setting. But in addition to my RocketTheme log-in problem, I wasn't able to log-in to the admin backend of a Joomla site I'm developing.

So it's a definite flaw in Joomla! that the inability to set a cookie is handled so badly. I'd report it as a bug, but the bug tracker apparently requires an account, and I can't see how to create one.

Thanks for your time, Andy (you're a great designer, by the way).

Ralph
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Actually if you have cookies set to never, then I don't think sessions will work, and that's going to be something that causes a problem for joomla as well as many, many other apps.

• Andy Miller wrote:
      Actually if you have cookies set to never, then I don't think sessions will work, and that's going to be something that causes a problem for joomla as well as many, many other apps.

Yeah, OK. But don't you think Joomla should detect the inability to set a cookie and at least give you an alert rather than unexplained failure?

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds