Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Template Updates through the Joomla Updater

• SOLVED Template Updates through the Joomla Updater

Posted 7 years 6 months ago
    • I have never seen a Rocket Theme Template update listed in the Joomla Extension Updater. Gantry shows up just fine, but I would like to receive update notifications through the Joomla Updater, and install the the update by that method. So far the only way I know about a template update is by visiting the Rocket Theme site and downloading the latest version and then manually installing it through the admin -> extensions -> install link.
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

Re: SOLVED Template Updates through the Joomla Updater

• Re: SOLVED Template Updates through the Joomla Updater

• Not being a coder, I don't understand why not. Apparently other template providers can do this. Thank You.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Most of our templates are PAID templates. Therefore we would have to authenticate your RT login details before we could download the update. We did previously use rokupdater extension (but it never did template updates). Rokupdater would need substantial updates to make it work with templates and the PHP7 - we have chosen not to undertake this in favour of targeting our limited development resources at Gantry 5, Templates and GRAV.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Posted 7 years 3 months ago
    • I've bought RT membership on at least four or five occasions, most recently for Joomla v3.2.x Now we're on Joomla v3.6.x, the template I bought not so very long ago will not install on the latest version of Joomla.
      What is the shelf life of these templates supposed to be? Is the only way of keeping them up to date to constantly keep paying for renewed RT membership?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 7 years 3 months ago
    • If Joomla is updated by Joomla then in some cases we also have to update our templates too. So, if you choose to update Joomla then, yes, it's likely that you will also need to update the template too (also possible Gantry and RT extensions). So really you question should be addressed at Joomla - they're the ones triggering the need to do update but they are doing it for good reasons... security updates, functionality improvements, and bug fixes. We also update templates to provide bug fixes too.

So there is no particular "shelf life" of any RT product. If you didn't update Joomla or anything else then our products would carry on working on the versions they are... of course if you don't then you also run the risk of exposing yourself to a security breach (specifically Joomla updates).

I would also point out that we offer "lifetime" memberships for a particular template. So rather than buying a "Joomla template" subscription which will need to be renewed as it expires you could purchase the specific template subscription and get lifetime support on it (no renewals required).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Posted 4 years 10 months ago
    • Hello support,

Since it's been a few years, has the RocketTheme team made any changes to allow people to update their templates through the Joomla Updater? I've seen other developers do this by generating a "download ID" that is only vaild while the user's membership is active - that way only people with paid memberships will be allowed to download their template.

Just wanted to see if this subject has been revisited / reconsidered to allow updating through the joomla updater.

Thank you,

Geoffrey
    • Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Geoffrey13.
    • Geoffresh SEO Web Design - Affordable Internet Marketing, SEO Web Design, Online Marketing Consulting
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 4 years 10 months ago
    • No, we won't be changing that. What we did have now though is rokcheck (written by me) that will at least tell you when you template is out of date. - you can download this from our extensions page (do read the documentation too though).

Regards, Mark.
    • Cpointcc
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 3 years 1 month ago
    • Hi Mark,

I hope this post finds you well. I know I and all the other subscribers would really like the notifications from within the websites. I don't see Rokcheck as an available extension. Will these templates ever show an update in the admin? It is so time-consuming searching through the sites, then the rss feed or to even search for the right gantry version of the template. I've been with you folks since the beginning. It really doesn't seem like such a difficult request to me. Please advise on this status.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 3 years 1 month ago
    • No, the templates will never be available though joomla updater. Rokcheck is available on the rokutilities tile here https://rockettheme.com/joomla/extensions - see screenshot.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds