0 items Join Now

Regarding RocketTheme Themes and GDPR

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

Regarding RocketTheme Themes and GDPR

Posted 5 years 11 months ago
    • Hello,

I've been asked to make a statement here about RocketTheme's templates and themes and how they're affected by the upcoming new rules out of the EU and UK. The GDPR and UK Data Protection Bill are breakthrough new regulations that have the ambitious goal in mind of securing personal data and giving control over that data to the individual users.

We here at RocketTheme are in full support of our customers around the world, and as a US-based organization with clients across the globe, we recognize that our customers work with clients that have to meet the strictest of certification standards in their business.

That's why RocketTheme's themes and any supporting extensions or plugins do not collect user data. Our themes are built to be as compliant as possible with the latest security and privacy standards, and we believe there is no reason we are aware of that any of our supported products would violate either GDPR or UK Data Protection rules.

There are several particles associated with some of our Gantry 5 templates that enable for functionality such as a SnipCart shopping cart or reservations to be made on the front end. These particles rely on third-party solutions to handle any user data, and do not collect or retain any customer information themselves.

So, you should be able to use your RocketTheme templates, themes, extensions, and plugins without any problems with the new rules. However, it is the responsibility of the developer to ensure that any additional scripting and/or functionality they have added to the website(s) they manage to be in compliance.

You can find out more about GDPR and the UK Data Protection Bill here:

GDPR
      UK Data Protection Bill
    • The following users have thanked you: Gary Sande, djSoft, Carl L.

• Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
    • Ricky
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: Regarding RocketTheme Themes and GDPR

Posted 5 years 9 months ago
    • What about the usage of Google Webfonts? With each visit the user is "forced" to fetch data from google servers thus transmitting data to google. Will there be an easy way of storing the fonts locally or maybe a guide?
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

Re: Regarding RocketTheme Themes and GDPR

Posted 5 years 9 months ago
    • R icky H wrote:
      What about the usage of Google Webfonts? With each visit the user is "forced" to fetch data from google servers thus transmitting data to google. Will there be an easy way of storing the fonts locally or maybe a guide?

I'll start by saying that I am not a lawyer and I'm answering this from a personal level and not as a representative of RocketTheme. If we have an official return I'll post it ASAP.

But...

Google Fonts are served by Google and yes, Google keeps logs for security reasons of its use. However, to my knowledge, Google does not drop a cookie when it serves fonts, nor does it use the information from fonts being served to track users. GDPR allows for logs and other records needed for security purposes, so I/we never saw that as a problem.

However, if you don't want to use Google Fonts, you really don't have to. You can load fonts locally in Gantry 5 and we have a detailed guide here .
    • Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds