Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Upgrade from J2.5 to J3.8 without the Roktabs

• intouchweb
    • intouchweb

Upgrade from J2.5 to J3.8 without the Roktabs

Posted 5 years 7 months ago
    • I am upgrading a J2.5 site to a J3.8 site. The old site uses RokTabs with RTClarion Gantry template and I would like to remove the tabs completely as we are moving over to a new template.

The migration generally went well EXCEPT Roktabs code is showing on articles eg
      [roktabs-open]595[/roktabs-open][roktabs-li=first icon-left active#cursor: pointer;#a1]Data Sheets[/roktabs-li][roktabs-li=icon-left#cursor: pointer;#a5]Application Notes[/roktab

I see RokTabs is no longer compatible with 3.8. I have tried various solutions like installing RokTabs on the new site, trying RokSprocket etc but am getting nowhere. I have asked for support and so far received no advice of any help.

Can someone please advise how I can best bulk remove all RokTabs data across the site (other than manuslly updating each article) and whether I should have done something in the 2.5 site forst to remive the tabs prior to migration (eg by uninstalling RokTabs fiirst??)

Thank you
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Upgrade from J2.5 to J3.8 without the Roktabs

• Where did you see that? Roktabs does work on j3.x but it is a legacy extension that we no longer support. So the chances are that it would still work.

The code you refer to is embedding roktabs inside articles. So if you removed roktabs that is why it does not work. You will have to manually remove those roktabs embeds from the articles - there is no automatic way of doing that. But it should only be ion a couple of articles at most.

If you remove roktabs then you will need to replace it by something else of rewrite the articles that used it (e.g. roksprocket). But that is nto something we can do for you within the scope of this support forum. To do that may require quite a bit of work.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • intouchweb
    • intouchweb

• Ok thank you, that sounds promising, however I had already installed Roktabs on the new site and still see the code. I have never used Roktabs so maybe it is just the config... how do I asign the module to all the articles . The tabs appear to be in at least 100 articles so I am not sure what you mean by "should only be in a couple of articles"? I am using a new template and inherited the design so maybe they were not implemented correctly. The code looks more like a plugin than a module to me... obviously I am missing something basi here can you elaborate please and get me on track?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I thought your use of roktabs would be based upon the demo of the template (so that's why I said a couple of articles) - but Clarion never did use roktabs at all, so you must have added it and used it in your 100 articles. I honestly can't remember how roktabs worked (it's so old) - but perhaps that was a rokcandy macro to embed roktabs? But either way what it's doing is embedding the roktabs module inside of the article, so you still need to manually change all the articles content.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • intouchweb
    • intouchweb

• Thank you again, your replies are helping me, I had no idea what RokCandy was. So I have now also installed RokCandy and I can see some old RokCandy macros on the old site. So I guess I can either manually remove all the RokCabdy code OR copy in/replicate the Rokcandy macros. I am using SPTransfer which allows me to migrate in database tables but it may be safer to manually recreate the macros. Is Rokcandy also compatible with J3 as far as you know?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Yes it is.

What can't you just take a backup of the old site and update it? There's no need to be messing with database tables.

If you want to upgrade from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.x these are the steps to follow:

1. backup backup backup!
      2. make sure that you meet the system requirements for J3.x (min php 5.3.10).
      3. check that al RT products are on latest versions (gantry, rt extensions and template) update any that aren't and clear server cache and browser cache. Check that RT template you are using is compatible with Joomla 3.x http://www.rockettheme.com/joomla-templates-compatibility-matrix . You can check all current version numbers in extension manager > manage. Please note if you are using "mission control" admin template that you need to uninstall this by following these special instructions http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/missioncontrol-joomla-admin-template/235181-important-information-about-uninstalling-mission-control .
      4. check all your third-party extensions are up to date and that they are compatible with J3.x
      5. test test test! to make sure anything you updated does still work ok
      6. backup backup backup!
      7. disable "system - remember me" plugin in extension manager > plugins
      8. update to J3.x and clear server and browser cache again.
      9. test test test!
      10. backup backup backup!
      11. re-enable "system - remember me" plugin.

Regards, Mark.
    • intouchweb
    • intouchweb

• Thank you, I tried to follow the standard migration procedure as you outlined and failed as there appears to be many unnecesary/redundant extensions, complexities, and corruptions on the original site (just too many fingers have been in this pie). After several failed attempts at the 'standard' migration I therefore decided to reconstruct the site from a brand new fresh install, hence my use of SPTransfer. Another factor is that the site is moving to a new template (not an RT Template and not a Gantry template). So if any of these Rok extensions require an RT Theme or Gantry please let me know as that would then be clear that I need to manually remive each roktab code. Otherwisee I will carry on with the plan to import the RokCandy macros (manually or otherwise). PS I have so many backups at different stages of success it is getting confusing, I seem to be installing all these Rok thingies when I would dearly love to blow them all away...
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• The extensions do not have a dependency on gantry or the template.

Well, good luck - it isn't the way I would do it. I don't think I can add any more now to help you further.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: intouchweb

• intouchweb
    • intouchweb

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to MrT, moderators and administrators
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds