Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Renewing for Year #14 in a row, yes or no

• Renewing for Year #14 in a row, yes or no

Posted 4 years 7 months ago
    • My renewal date is in 2 days, and I am actually a little bit on the fence on renewing for year 14.

For nostalgic reasons I tell myself, come on can't let this expire, RocketTheme has been so good to you. But there is another side that I can't seem to escape.
      1. Not using any templates since the arrival of Gantry 4, and now with Gantry 5 everything I derive and customize using Gantry 5's Hydrogen
      2. Initially I used RocketTheme for not only templates, but especially for the superb members only extensions. Aside from RokSprocket and RokBox, I feel extension development currently is at an all-time low priority. I would love to learn about future extension development.
      3. Appreciate the 20% loyalty discount, but hoping for 14th anniversary I could get a little bette deal? Sorry, but I am afterall Dutch :)
      4. With Joomla 4 coming fairly soon, not entirely sure what direction RocketTheme and Gantry is heading. Gantry 6? CSS Grid? Where can I read more? Gantry's GitHub is not specifically a good platform for finding this kind of info (or I don't know how / where to look?)
      5. Related to Gantry's direction. There is still a minute really minute bootstrap 2 depency in some files... See: "span12" in /media/gantry5/engines/nucleus/twig/component.html.twig - of-course easily overridden with a custom twig file, but highly annoying if forgotten. Is Gantry going to be skipping bootstrap 3 like Joomla? And whatever small dependency, this will be bootstrap 4?
      Hoping someone has some answers to my questions and allow me to make a more educated choice for my next renewal.

Thanks in advance!
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

Joomla Video Tutorials: www.joomtorial.com
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Renewing for Year #14 in a row, yes or no

• Extensions are really superceeded by particles in Gantry 5. We have many of them that provide lot of different functionality. This is one of the reasons for purchasing an RT template... each new template provides new particles. Gantry 5 is currently being enhanced to work with Joomla 4 and Bootstrap 4. Gantry 4 templates (some not all) are being redeveloped in Gantry 5 (we’ve already released 6 conversions). Gantry 5 also works with Wordpress and our own GRAV CMS.

Our blog tells you more.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Renewing for Year #14 in a row, yes or no

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response.

You hit the hammer on the nail. Particles superceed extensions.
      But why are they kept template specific? Why are there no "generic" versions of the particles? Available for download and installed like any other extension?

I understand it is hard to guess anyones coding experience / level. Let's say I am no stranger to code and have revamped/borrowed a particle from one Gantry 5 based RT template and make it work in another Gantry 5 based RT template.
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

Joomla Video Tutorials: www.joomtorial.com
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Renewing for Year #14 in a row, yes or no

• A whole raft of particles are included in Gantry 5 core itself. Then, on top of that we have template specific particles. Why are these only available in the RT templates? Because we are a commercial company. These particles (like extensions before them) take our developers time to create and we have to recoup that investment, pay our staff, and reinvest that money back into future product development. Gantry 5 is an opensource project that does not make money itself. It is the RT template and particles that make money. We've considered a particle "marketplace" but we simply have had too many other priorities to focus on this (such as updating Gantry 5 core and our template to work with Joomla 4 and Bootstrap 4) - perhaps this will happen in the future.

Here is a matrix of all the particles that we have developed in the templates https://rockettheme.com/forum/gantry5-for-joomla/274835-gantry-5-particles-the-matrix-v1-10

Particle development is much easier than developing extensions for Joomla (or any of the other CMSs). It's fairly easy to develop your own particles for any specific requirements you may have. Or, having purchase one of our templates, you can copy the particles from it to other templates you may be using too. You will also note that our extensions are now all available for free (have been for a very long time now) because basically the market for extensions moved on and members did not want to pay for them separately. Most of our membership purchase an RT template so they can just edit the content and use the functionality provided by particles that we have developed for them (i.e. we make the taks of producing a finished website much easier and quicker than having to develop everything yourself). For more experienced developers we made it easy to develop your own particles and also we have developed the GRAV CMS to make things easier too.

If you want to know how to copy a Gantry 5 particle from one template to another please read my tutorial here in Gantry 5 Official Documentation here .

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds