Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Ambrosia Theme : All the RocketSprocket Widgets just stopped working.

• Ambrosia Theme : All the RocketSprocket Widgets just stopped working.

Posted 4 years 7 months ago
    • I updated from php 5.6 to 7.3 and the Ambrosia theme took a dump on me.. The backend went to the wordpress look but i got that fixed.. I updated the Rok plugins and I still can't get new rocket sprocket widgets to work.. Obviously when I updated the RokSprocket widget all my previous widgets just disappeared.. Anyway, everyone seemed to think it was that I didnt update the theme to match so I bought a lifetime membership to for the theme and it still doesn't work. 2 years ago I recreated the whole thing from scratch so I am fairly familiar with this theme and how the layout manager works..

I keep building new slideshows to put at the top of my pages but they are not showing.. I am tempted to just use the rocketlauncher and just redesign from there but I suspect I will lose all my content..

Any ideas why this isnt working?
  • Re: Ambrosia Theme : All the RocketSprocket Widgets just stopped working.

• deleted comment.
    • Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Joe DiRosa.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Ambrosia Theme : All the RocketSprocket Widgets just stopped working.

• Please would you post your URL, admin id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you.

Updating roksprocket should not lose your existing roksprockets/

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Joe DiRosa

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Well I went about it a different way.. First the Ambrosia docs are not updated at all..I bought the template license.. I installed new the rocket launcher version on another hosting account so I could try and work through it backwards.. apparently you have done away with sprockets all together.. I am basically recreating the portions i need off the launcher version for now.. I assume you did this for page loading speed but I am not sure..

It seems to have caused some functionality issues as the tabs section is no longer animated. The content for each tab needs to be coded in as opposed to using rocketsprocket to make the lists.. I am still going through a couple other things..

I am curious as to what you use for a latest news list since all the rocketsprocket widgets are now gone..???

I am sure I will have more questions as I go through everything..
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• First I've moved this topic to the correct forum.

Let's rewind here. If you have an existing site and want to update to latest version of Ambrosia and Gantry 5 then, that's all you need to do. Your roksprockets will remain, your configuration remains unchanged, roksprockets will still be configured and working, Everything will work exactly as it did before. So, there's no need to be starting over at all with a rocketlauncher (which will lose everything you previously configured). Ambrosia, always had two options for the display of the template, one using roksprocket and one not using roksprocket but rather particles instead. Ambrosia is an old template now and, yes, we have continued to update it to ensure that it still works with modern PHP and Wordpress versions. As part of this process we chose to alter the demo/rocketlauncher to drop the roksprocket configuration. That said, you can still use roksprockets if you want to, they will work. The template documentation is up to date in that it does show the two alternate configurations, one with modules (like roksprocket) and one using particles instead.

So, in order to expedite the update of your site I recommend that you restore your site back, then update the template, gantry and roksprocket. Then clear server and browser cache. Your site should be updated then and work - if it doesn't then I can look at it again for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Mark,

Thanks for your response.. I tried the regular rocketsprocket configuration to get the widgets to work and none of them showed at all.. I had slideshows on several pages and they disappeared.. Same with the tabs.. I updated to php 7 and it caused a backend problem where I wasnt getting the Gantry editing template.. Then I updated the Rok plugins and every rocketspoket widget disappeared.. I tried to set them up again and they wouldnt show up at all.. I updated the template and still nothing.. I did install the rocket launcher and worked restoring the website according to the new configuration and that seems to work. Many of the particles are new and werent available originally so it looks completely different to me.. There are one or two areas where I think the rocketsprockets would be helpful but from what i read in the forums they are old configurations and they tend to hurt your google speed rankings.. ?? I checked and my new configuration has me in the mid 80's for desktop and 60's for mobile which is great.. You do lose some functionality with the animation auto play on the tabs and changing articles by dealing with code is a real pain in the tabs section too, but it might be worth it..

I am having two problems.. One on what should be my base outline or whatever governs "posts" I am getting a white space at the top of my pages which wasnt there before.. It is the same part as where the logo goes.. for some reason the styles seem correct but they seem to be not working correctly.. See the white strip above the menu.. That should be black with the logo in white text..
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• On the outline that you are using for that page the header section has the class "g-home" on it which is what forces the background of the header section to be white. So remove that class from the section on the layout of your outline.

To you "disappearing" point - I did explain why. It will be because the module positions that the roksprockets (etc) are assigned to do not appear on the layout of the outline that you are using. If you still need the module positions then you need to ensure that they are present on the outline that you are using.

Honestly, it's not all new. There were always a "particles" and a "positions" outlines - all we did is stop the demo using the "positions" outline with the roksrpocket modules.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Joe DiRosa

• Thanks for the g-home tip. That worked beautifully.. I tried using the rocketsprocket position holder on several pages to create a slide show and I couldn't get the widget to show up at all. I did it exactly the way it was set up in Abrosia 1.1.4.. I literally copied it step by step out of rocketlauncher with assistance from the walkthrough. Maybe I was doing something wrong.. I just know if I sell the site, doing the tabs with the rocketsprocket might be an easier workaround to a novice with the gantry 5 platform. Do all the widgets now need to be on the base outline instead of the individual page layouts?

• I have noticed a substantial speed improvement in my google page test in the new way with the particles without rocketsprocket..
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Particles will be faster than roksprocket because they use flat files instead of mysql database. But, there are still times when you may choose to use a roksprocket still especially if you wish to take in CMS content for the datasource (e.g. articles) or wish to use improved selection criterion that roksprocket offers.

If you give me one example of a roksprocket not working in a a specific module position the I will take a look for you if you provided admin details too.

In Wordpress the "base outline" is the outline that will be used by all your pages/menu items unless you specifically state otherwise. But you would normally have more than one outline in use as you may require a different layout for some pages (e.g. "home" outline for "home" page).

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds