0 items Join Now

Mosest Tree or mosDirectory

• L. Chris
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: Mosest Tree or mosDirectory

Posted 18 years 3 months ago
    • Ken,

Yes, I am listening.

These products are close - choices made by the programmers show that what they lack is user perspective, not coding skills.

Fix bugs, before adding more features. Listen to users (noting that Joomla is an excellent role model to follow) of your product. Look at similar (or very popular) products and note which features are required for your product to serve it's purpose versus what features are very cool but not required. For example, I would think that a directory would require data import/export capabiities and that the ratings feature is very cool but not required. Users will have to search the directory and so search capabilities are required. A directory will have a title or header so that is critical. An annoying thing (look at examples of existing directories using these products) for me is that I do not like that they are fixed tables so you cannot easily get your rows to be even. You can globally set the number of categories that show but cannot set it separately for each category. Visually that bugs me <lol>.

The programmers will learn as they grow their businesses..it's a natural cycle. The Joomla/Mambo market is ready for the third-party training and technical support and customization services. That is where I see tremendous demand. I have moved (or been pushed <lol>) from developing sites to developing RFP's and taxonomies and training and technical support. I am now at least a 90% Joomla consultancy and growing.

It's been an interesting ride...I am so glad that I moved to the open source community two years ago.

Regards,
      L. Chris
  • Re: Mosest Tree or mosDirectory

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • I picked Mosets Tree. The interface to add, delete, and move items in the directory more intuitive for me. Additionally I liked the handling of images better.
    • HNL
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • Yes!

It has been decided.
      After some emailing,
      contact from Mosets
      and further research,
      up and down the
      Joomla community,
      I bought Mosets Tree.

Hi Ken,
      Did you decide already?

Many Thanks to
      Andy,
      dknight/CY Lee
      Debra Stokes/L.Chris

Cheers, HansNL
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

• Andy Miller wrote:
      I have worked closely with dknight (the developer of mosets) on an upcoming joomla project and he's been fantastic to work with. Mosets tree out of the box didn't do what we wanted and quite frankly we were all to busy to work on modifying it, but dknight offered to help and has shown that mosets is really a very good product although if you want to modify it there is some templating work needed. I don't think mosdirectory has this level of flexibility. just my 2c.

I guess you see what Andy was talking about
      extensions.joomla.org/
    • www.bentonhighschool.com/
    • HNL
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Hi Stewart!

Right you are!
      And that extensions.joomla.org/
      sure is a treasure trove for any/everybody

Cheers HansNL
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• extensions.joomla.org is the project i was working on with the moset's folks and others. I think it turned out really well.
    • HNL
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Hi Andy! :)

Hope you had a great time with your family.
      ;D Now back to the grind again, huh!
      Surprise us!

May I make a suggestion as far as
      Mosets is concerned?
      You two seem to do pretty well
      apparently as extensionspage is great.
      By your own previous words
      you could very well work
      with CY

Why don't you guys stick together closer.
      Take care that Mosets Tree and Hot Property
      AND your templates work together
      like being in a symbiosis.
      (Uh... I don't mean to say
      that they work imperfectly now
      together, of course!!!)

Furthermore you could be a preferred partner
      with a link at the Mosets website
      and Mosets having a link here at Rockettheme.
      Methinks it could be/is a powerful combination!
      How about that?

Cheers, HansNL

• If anyone is still interested in this thread, (seems like you made your decision), I would like to add a suggestion.

I had the same problem a few months ago, and just could not setlle on either of these projects, or hotproperty, which was also touted as a contender. None of them are quite right for me.

I chose phpmydirectory, which I really liked, and wrapped it inside of mambo. I have not had a single problem with it.

And the support is top notch.

You can check out it out here. Its in spanish.....oh and its about chickens:-S but dont worry...

BROKEN LINK REMOVED

This will help you check it out. The script is about the same price as mossets tree.

Here is the link top the script

www.phpmydirectory.com/

I agree with the guy that says there is business to be done with a good directory script:-)
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Kat05.

• What a strange site you have!

Thanks for the link though. Can it be bridged at all with joomla? I'd like to have the users only register once on my site
    • Last Edit: 18 years 1 month ago by .

• Just to jump in on this thread.

I have been using MosTree on a couple of projects and I do find it frustrating to not have a comprehensive manual to go over. You do have to get your "hands dirty" and make some mtree code modifications. I keep a notes library on all changes I need to make in Mtree so I can be a bit quicker the next time. I really like Mtree and I sell it as solution to my clients.

Here is the big point. My experiance is that all components cannot address all variances of business models out there. In other words a good programer has to make their component a bit generic in order to sell. So your options are: 1) Modify and code yourself, 2) beg the developer to include your needs as a free feature request upgrade (good luck), 3) pay the developer to create a version for you and allow them to include your work in future verisions of their program or 4) pay someone to modify the component for you.

I got to tell you that the more busy I get the more I don't want to hack at code in hopes of getting it to work. Working and paying a developer for custom work is fairly rewarding. You become a benefactor to the open source movement in a way.

In summary, don't get angry or disappointed that a component doesn't do what you want. What you want is only one of 3,000 ways to skin a cat.

good luck
      jack
    • Jack Hughes

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds