Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Anybody use Gator Host

• Anybody use Gator Host

Posted 15 years 3 months ago
    • I'm finding that when I install the templates on Joomla 1.5.11, it's taking a lot longer than it has done on other hosts. Then after a couple of minutes it goes to a white page and you have to hit the refresh button to get it back to the website. I just did a migration on exactly the same thing happened.

Just wondered if anybody else has had this experience
    • http://www.Oscarfishlover.com - the website for great Oscar Fish advice and help
  • Re: Anybody use Gator Host

• Jaclyn
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: Anybody use Gator Host

• *I have not had that issue.

I use host gator, and I love them, I used to use Godaddy, and they were SLOW!!!

I upload my templates through the c-panel, and then delete the intstallation folder directly out of the c-panel as well. After I have the site installed, I then use my FTP program for everything else.

Host gator's support is really good, they will answer all of your questions. In my opinion they are the best, I used to work for a hosting company, and in my experience host gator is performed better than most in all areas.

Good luck!
    • Jaclyn H.
      I heart the web!
      http://iveck.com

• if I'm uploading photos in joomla 1.5 then I do it using the insert function on the page.if I'm uploading a joomla installation, I use Smart FTP, takes forever though. I find that it's much quicker to insert a joomla application using fantastico. Problem is, I installed a 1.5.11 application today, using fantastico, set the whole website up and then uploaded the 1511SEF patch. Dam good job I backed up the website first, it totally messed everything, this is the second time this has happened and I think it happened both times when I was uploading the files onto a site that had been installed using fantastico.

Also, I have got the business package with Gator host. the main website is under public_HTML. If I create an add-on domain the directory also appears in public_HTML. Obviously if you've got 10 websites they all merge into the files of the main website. What happens if I need to reinstall the main website? As far as I know, you can't install the joomla application into a directory that already has files/folders in it.

Anyway, not sure why the initial problem keeps happening. I haven't experienced serious problems, it just takes a little bit longer and I sometimes end up with a white screen, I just hit refresh and everything is okay. However, I am quite pleased so far. Everything is running just as quick, if a little bit quicker than Rochen
    • http://www.Oscarfishlover.com - the website for great Oscar Fish advice and help
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Anybody use Gator Host

• Fantastico is almost always a bad idea if you plan on upgrading anything.

Try uploading the zip package and then unzip it server side. It should be nearly as fast.

upload and unzip server side

Your template for cpanel may be different so look for similarities here.

Next, if you do this with Fantastico, there is a chance all your other websites will be wiped out.

Using either FTP to get all the new Joomla files over or loading the zip file and unzipping it server side, should still let you install in the main directory, even with other directories there.

Also, please specify if you are talking about "Gator Host" or "HostGator". Maybe post a link.

• Sorry, Host Gator

Thanks for the information about installing a joomla package, it normally takes nearly an hour using Smart FTP

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds