Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla as an Intranet Portal

• Lowell
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Joomla as an Intranet Portal

Posted 14 years 5 months ago
    • hey guys,

Our IT team at my job suggested building an Intranet Portal for the IT.
      Our IT team includes: IT Management, Data Center Support, Network Services & Help Desk.

# of employees = 80+

I am planning to use Joomla as the backend.

Should I use a Windows 2003 Server or a Linux distribution for hosting the Portal?

If Windows 2003 Server, what is the best method of running the server? (all-in-one server such as WAMP / XAMP or should I install php, apache, mysql, phpmyadmin, mysql administration separately?)

If Linux, I am more familiar with Fedora 11 than any other distros. (should I use xampp for linux or install php, apache, mysql, phpmyadmin, mysql administration separately?)

Also, to integrate phpBB into Joomla, i know i have to get the bridge extension. But my question is how will it look? Is there a demo page I can see somewhere?

Your help is very much appreciated!
      Thanks a lot!
      Low
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Joomla as an Intranet Portal

• This may help you decide:

help.joomla.org/content/view/1938/310/

If you are planning to run Joomla on your own server and it happens to be Windows you may consider running it off site with a host that is optimized for Joomla, e.g. Host Gator.

Of course, you can create your own Unix server, but configuring everything and maintaining security, unless you are comfortable with doing so, is quite involved.

As far as integrating Joomla and phpBB3, look at the Affinity demo, you can see how the forum integrates seamlessly with Joomla.

When you get started, this thread will be very helpful:

www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=17...58080&rb_v=viewtopic
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • Lowell
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• hey JEM,

thanks a lot for your advise.

1) since it is an INTRANET portal, it can only be accessed by our IT team within our company or via VPN. So it is not open to public/internet. I think I am gonna go with Fedora 11 for this deployment.

2) thanks for the phpBB demo site. Where can I find documentation/tutorial on how to integrate/install phpBB into Joomla?

3) I could not go into: www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=17...58080&rb_v=viewtopic bc I have to renew the membership.

If you can help, that would be great! Thanks!
      Low
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• All the documentation for integrating Joomla and phpBB3 is in that tutorial thread I linked, amongst others.

Sorry to view it you'll need to renew.

Not trying to be difficult but it links to some other threads, so a copy and paste wouldn't be so helpful.
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • Lowell
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• JEM, i renewed my subscription to Joomla Club, but I get the following error while accessing that link you posted: You are not authorised to read this forum.
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Try logging out and logging in again.

Also, be sure to clear your cookies and cache.

If that doesn't work, contact support directly:

www.rockettheme.com/contact-us
    • Thanks,
      jim
  • Re: Joomla as an Intranet Portal

Posted 13 years 11 months ago
    • This is a good question. Has anyone here succesfully built an Intranet solution using Joomla? If so what components/modules/plugins did you use? Any hacks? What about the ACL?

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds