Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

State Department Site with Fluent

• MgAskii
    • Web Developer

State Department Site with Fluent

Posted 4 years 5 months ago
    • Hello Rocketpeoples,

I created a Joomla website for the Texas Juvenile Justice Department based on the Fluent template.
      https://www.tjjd.texas.gov

Fluent allowed me to realize an important design goal. Since the agency supports encarcerated youth, we are particularly sensitive to how minors are depicted in photos. We do not want to reveal the identity of youth in our care. And that's always presented a problem -- how do we talk about what we do without showing who we support?

The answer was to show the work they create in art therapy classes throughout the Texas Juvenile Justice System. Fluent allowed me to do just that ... every section features youth illustrations. And since the template is so easy to update, I will be able to work with art teachers to refresh the site on a regular basis.

Thank you!
      Meg
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: State Department Site with Fluent

• Nice, well done...

I'd recommend that you use W3c Validator on all your pages to resolve any errors if you can (at least the red ones).

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tjjd.texas.gov%2F

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • MgAskii
    • Web Developer

• Thanks so much for your kind words, MrT, and for all your help along the way.

I'll definitely validate w/ the w3c tool.

You're the best.
    • The following users have thanked you: MrT

• Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• I strongly suggest to not use PNG for tree-bwmute90opacity.png.
      That image is 5.6MB (takes ages on mobiles) ... as a JPG it's only 500 to 600 KB.
    • The following users have thanked you: MgAskii

• Rae French
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT Consultant

• Nice job on the site. Although, I have one small suggestion. When I first went to the site, I was thrown off by the look of the site and what I expected. The images reminded me of elementary school drawings and didn't have anything to do with the work that the agency was doing. Then I re-read your description and now understand what your reasoning was, i.e., protecting the identity of the children by instead showing their work in their art therapy classes. Now I get it.

My suggestion is to also let everyone else who goes to the site also know that. Your explanation is perfect but it needs to be displayed somewhere obvious for everyone who visits the site who may have the same first-impression that I did.

One other little tiny thing, the browser tab states "Home" on the homepage. You can fix that to be the agency name in the Home item in the menu under Page Display.
    • Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Rae French.
    • The following users have thanked you: MgAskii

• Best wishes,
      Rae
    • MgAskii
    • Web Developer

• Great advice. Thank you for taking the time to give (much appreciated) advice. I'll rework accordingly.
    • MgAskii
    • Web Developer

• Thank you for your advice, Rae, and for taking the time to write.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds