Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED MC times out during Akeeba backup

• Edward S
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Computer Tech and Consultant, Retired (20 years active) Veteran, Single Parent, Comedian, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

SOLVED MC times out during Akeeba backup

Posted 12 years 2 weeks ago
    • During Akeeba Backup, using the MC template, I am constantly timing out. (15 minutes isn't long enough sometimes, but not every time).
      My server is no slower than any other I might know of, and my site is no bigger..

Is there a way to 'suspend' the timer during backup?
    • Last Edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by Edward S.
    • “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” ~ John Wayne
      This is the URL to visit: Http://www.yooperliving.com
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED MC times out during Akeeba backup

• The session timer is just a visual indicator of the session lifetime setting in Global Configuration.
      Since I run both Akeeba and MC, curious I did a backup ( I LOVE backups!) of a 390MB site that's hosted on HostGator.
      With the stopwatch going in the background I clocked the 390MB backup at 1 min 40 secs.
      So something isn't kosher if 15min isn't enough time to complete the backup.
      Did you run Akeeba's site wizard to set the best performance for your server?
    • Edward S
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Computer Tech and Consultant, Retired (20 years active) Veteran, Single Parent, Comedian, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Thanks Dan,
      Are you running your site on a localhost sever sitting in your living room or something?.. .390m in less than two minutes?! Yeesh!

Anyway, I have a trouble ticket in to the host, gave them some pretty pictures of where it says, "Mysql" has gone away.. etc.. etc.. Here, I'll share a few here..
      Here I am trying out Hathor in an attempt to see if it was the MC... nope!..
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

And I realize that timer and bar are just a 'representation' of the time Joomla gives for a 'dead man switch' on the back-end. so, I guess.. perhaps.. I'm asking, 'someone' to develop a switch to turn off the swith eh?... Other than trying to reach the new benchmark you've established, (390m in 2 minutes).. I guess I have a problem with the server side eh?
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Edward S wrote:
      And I realize that timer and bar are just a 'representation' of the time Joomla gives for a 'dead man switch' on the back-end. so, I guess.. perhaps.. I'm asking, 'someone' to develop a switch to turn off the swith eh?... Other than trying to reach the new benchmark you've established, (390m in 2 minutes).. I guess I have a problem with the server side eh?
      That site is on a shared Linux hosting account on HostGator that why I timed it as it's nothing special.
      Talking a wild stab here go to Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Database.
      If the screen says there are errors then use the FIX button.
      Other than that I would Goggle that error message. If you have a forum subscription for Akeeba I would definitely ask them as they are GENIUSES when it comes to their product and servers.
    • Edward S
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Y'know Dan, "Every single day, I'm learning more and more about Joomla and Rocket Theme, extensions and support".. It's really the best place to get honest help!..
      Ok, I followed the 'check database' suggestion you made.. (I had no idea that was there, didn't know what it was for, and do not 'fiddle' with things I don't know about.) Anyway.. The report produced
      two errors in the database, and the 'fix' button corrected one of them. The second error eludes me, and the 'fix' button doesn't do anything for it..

On a brighter note.. I was able to 'backup' a 150,708,724 ( bytes? ) backup in less than 2 minutes, the entire site, 'after' I corrected the first problem. However, I'm not sure it was the database 'fix' that actually made a difference.. Y'see, I worded a 'strong' letter to the Support for the Arivixe (Shared, but Business) host.. I had sent them an email of support for this, and the (ahem!.. nevermind).. tech's told me that..

"Your frontpage site is 2.84 megs, there are 1.50 megs of pictures alone, reduce the number of pictures and your site will be more responsive".. Uh, "Ok"..

Well, I was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night.. When I told them I could 'shop else where' for a host, well.. the site is running a bit faster now.. may be my complaint, may be my fix.. dunno!.. but really!.. I have more fish to fry than this...

Thanks again Dan!.. I guess we can mark this, "Solved" also..
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Edward S wrote:
      Well, I was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night..
      LOL
      Yeah, you have to keep those guys in line after all YOU are paying them!
      If you would be so kind, check my signature and click the button beside "Marking your threads as Solved". Thanks.
    • Edward S
    • Hero Rocketeer

Posted 12 years 1 week ago
    • Follow-up Reply...
      Switched Host Providers, to the one recommended here... and All seems much, much better..

Thank you for Assistance Rocket themes, as well as the very generous coupon you supported here for Rochen... Which, by the way also Hosts, "Joomla.org"...
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Posted 12 years 1 week ago
    • Edward S wrote:
      Follow-up Reply...
      Switched Host Providers, to the one recommended here... and All seems much, much better..

Thank you for Assistance Rocket themes, as well as the very generous coupon you supported here for Rochen... Which, by the way also Hosts, "Joomla.org"...
      Thank you for marking your thread correctly as Solved (you get 5 gold stars for that) and I'm glad it worked out for you - now go play with VOXEL.
    • Edward S
    • Hero Rocketeer

Posted 12 years 1 day ago
    • Well, this thread need revisiting..
      As I actually found a solution I was looking for, "How to 'turn off' the count-down in Joomla".. and the answer was staring me right in the face..

In the Control Panel, Global Configuration, Session lifetime.. set that to whatever you like.. I set mine to 30... it prevented the 'time out' at 15..

I cease to wonder why 'that' wasn't suggested in my original request for assistance.. oh well!..

Dan, you NEED NOT REPLY, but thank you just the same..
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 12 years 16 hours ago
    • Edward S wrote:
      Well, this thread need revisiting..
      As I actually found a solution I was looking for, "How to 'turn off' the count-down in Joomla".. and the answer was staring me right in the face..

In the Control Panel, Global Configuration, Session lifetime.. set that to whatever you like.. I set mine to 30... it prevented the 'time out' at 15..

I cease to wonder why 'that' wasn't suggested in my original request for assistance.. oh well!..

Dan, you NEED NOT REPLY, but thank you just the same..

Mr. Edward S,

I've seen several of these posts now with a comment like "I cease to wonder why that wasn't suggested in my original request for assistance"...and it turns out that you must not be reading what is actually in the forum. This was in Dan's first sentence of the first reply!
      The session timer is just a visual indicator of the session lifetime setting in Global Configuration.

Also, a lot of these things are deemed as menial tasks you should already understand in Joomla. If we have to review every single setting every time someone posts an issue, we would have a heck of a time finding a solution. Dan's reply mentioned where the timer gets it's info and also that you shouldn't need that much time with decent hosting, then he wanted to look to help further. He did everything just right here, so no need for passive underhanded remarks.

Lets get back on track with being friendly and appreciative of the community and participation here and stop with some of the passive bickering going on. I've seen a lot of good, but things are drifting too far on the wrong direction now.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds