Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

General Questions about Joomla and Wordpress

• neuclix
    • Hero Rocketeer

General Questions about Joomla and Wordpress

Posted 2 years 10 months ago
    • I am considering subscribing to a package and want to understand the editing process of WordPress vs Joomla
    • Thanks in advance,
      Steve Hodges
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: General Questions about Joomla and Wordpress

• You can do virtually the same in both CMSs. As far as Gantry 5 and it's themes are concerned the workflow is vitually identical too.

So, really, it comes down to what you are already familiar with and what third-party products you need for your website.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • neuclix
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Thank you for your response, Mark.
      A few more things please.
      it seems that editing Joomla is straight forward and the editor seems to be part of the joomls/gantry5. However, I have noticed that with wordpress it seems you have to buy an editor or subscribe to an editor service such as Bakery or Elementor. This seems to be a difference to me as I am used to simply installing a Joomls Template and just editing right out of the box.
      Am I confused? am I actually using an editor (maybe RokPad) and not realizing that it is the same for joomla and WordPress?
      Also, with joomla there is sample content and it is easy to replace the images and text, but with wordpress it's like rocket science, (excuse the pun). No matter what Wordpress theme I install, I always have to start from scratch and I don't see the theme like it appears with its sample content. Could you please enlighten me here? I could use some 'splainin' Thank you
    • Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by neuclix.
    • Thanks in advance,
      Steve Hodges
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I am assuming we're talking about Gantry 5 themes in my comments below:

Joomla allows you to choose what editor you wish to use for editing articles and modules (e.g. rokpad, jce, tinymce, jck, etc). Gantry 5 editing of particles does not use any of these editors, particle content is either edited via the settings or plain text fields.

Wordpress is virtually identical, It allows you to chose your editor too for posts/pages and widgets. WP standard editor is now Gutenberg editor but you can change that to the "wp classic editor" by just installing that plugin (most people do that). Gantry 5 particle editing is exactly the same as in Joomla.

So, you DO NOT need Bakery or Elementor in Wordpress at all.

In Wordpress it's again easy to change text and images - it's just a little different to Joomla - but it does exactly the same things.

If you want all the sample data - just like the demo looks then you start with the "rocketlauncher" pacakge for WP or Joomla. It's easy to edit all the content in either CMS and is done in much the same way if you are using a Gantry 5 theme.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • neuclix
    • Hero Rocketeer

• I am beginning to understand and I appreciate your patience.
      So is Gantry 5 an exclusive back end to only RocketTheme wordpress and Joomla themes and templates?
      If I install a word press theme that I didn't get from RocketTheme, what happens to Gantry 5?
    • Thanks in advance,
      Steve Hodges
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• No, incorrect.

Gantry 5 is a framework that sits on top of your chosen CMS. Then out themes/template sits on top of that and uses it.

You can think of Gantry 5 as the "engine" out themes uses and the themes as the "bodyshell" that sits on top.

Gantry 5 has an administration interface in the backend of your chosen CMS that allows you to configure the look and feel of your site. Then, Gantry 5 renders the template/theme along with your chosen settings and styling in the frontend.

There is no point in having Gantry 5 if you're not going to use one of our themes. it will do nothing on it's own. If you choose to use a theme/template from someone else then you don't need Gantry 5.

If you want to learn more about Gantry 5 please read the documentation http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/basics .

In addition each theme is also documented on this site too.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds