Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Update the template to the latest version and possibly from J 2.5.x to 3.X

• Espace
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Update the template to the latest version and possibly from J 2.5.x to 3.X

Posted 10 years 1 month ago
    • Hi folks,

I have instaled and customized the Kirigami template (v1.1) Joomla 2.5 on my website, now I would like to update it to the latest version 1.7 and possibly to Joomla 3.X ( if possible)... How do I go ahead and update it without loosing my customization ?

I don't want to start from scrach again ! I want it all to look the way it is right now but updated to the latest version, any help would be much appreciated !

Thanks folks !

Afi
    • It's never too late, Never !
  • Re: Update the template to the latest version and possibly from J 2.5.x to 3.X

• Hello,

To begin, you need to start by backing up your website and setting it up on a localhost / development directory.

Then test updating the template and Joomla version and see what areas need to be addressed. Make a complete step-by-step record of the entire update (what needs to be added, changed, etc).

Once you're able to restore your website to its original design on a local/development server, take your live site offline and make the update there. Follow the directions you've made previously.

Are you aware of what files you've customized? Using a Difference / Merge Tool ( www.araxis.com/merge/ ) between your current template and our updated one, may benefit in find what areas need to addressed.
    • Kind regards,
      Reggie

Learn to code for free.
      www.freecodecamp.org
    • cdavis411
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Update the template to the latest version and possibly from J 2.5.x to 3.X

• btw if you are not already familiar with Akeeba backup you would do well to take a little time to get familiar with it. it is invaluable for Joomla sites www.akeebabackup.com
    • The following users have thanked you: Reggie Simmons

• Re: Update the template to the latest version and possibly from J 2.5.x to 3.X

• Indeed, Chris! Thanks for mentioning that!
    • The following users have thanked you: cdavis411

• Kind regards,
      Reggie

Learn to code for free.
      www.freecodecamp.org
    • Espace
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 10 years 3 weeks ago
    • Hi Cdavis & Reggie,

Thanks for your input guys...

I backedup the site using Akeeba and updated the template on the live server to Joomla 3.0.XX and now I got a blank screen on both the admin and front sides !

Any idea what to do next ???

Afi,

• Turn on Error Reporting either in the Joomla admin or your php.ini file to see what the issue is. What is the link to your site?
    • The following users have thanked you: Espace

• Kind regards,
      Reggie

Learn to code for free.
      www.freecodecamp.org
    • Espace
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hi Reggie,

I can't turn off the error reporting because I'm not able to access the admin side...same issue with the front side: all blank !

Here's the website www.maviemasante.org

Thanks for your assistance !

Afi
    • cdavis411
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• you can manually turn on the joomla error reporting using FTP tp access the joomla root directory and open the configuration.php file for editing. find this line
      public $error_reporting = 'default';
      change to this
      public $error_reporting = 'maximum';
      then browse to the site. You should also see an error log file in your site's root folder. You can copy the latest entries in that file and share them in a reply here.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds