Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Grav??? Say whaaaaaaaaa

• Pixelshift
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Audio Engineer | Web Design

Grav??? Say whaaaaaaaaa

Posted 7 years 6 months ago
    • Not sure if this has already been asked or addressed? I just recieved your Rocket Theme Labor Day discount email and i noticed something about Grav and a Flat-file type CMS? First...whats a flat file cms?

Just visited the site and my heads spinning!!!

Is this thing database driven? What would be some advantages over Joomla? I also noticed it runs gantry v1...is that an older version? Aww man sooooooo many questions!!!

Its going to be a loooooooong night ;)
    • "5 out of 4 people have a problem with fractions..."
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Grav??? Say whaaaaaaaaa

• I <3 Grav

NO DATABASE -- everything is written to and controlled from relatively simple files... mostly YAML and TWIG files with MarkDown files housing your page content

The main advantage over Joomla or WordPress or any traditional CMS, in my mind, is the ease of which you can customize things at a code level... and because we're talking about YAML and TWIG here mostly it's a very simple code level that you're working at.

The other big advantage... NO DATABASE... oh wait, we covered that ;)

If you never learned PHP (I didn't) then you'll love TWIG... it lets you do all the complex things PHP does (it's just a PHP driver/templating layer on top of PHP) with very simple/easy-to-learn code snippets.

I dunno... there's too many cool things about Grav for me to go on here... and yes, Gantry 5 is coming to Grav very very soon :)
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
  • Re: Grav??? Say whaaaaaaaaa

• GRAV is great - I'm currently working in J! and GRAV. I have a GRAV site with over 1000 pages which is growing daily - well worth the time and effort to learn it
      FAST / SECURE / RESPONSIVE / GREAT SUPPORT COMMUNITY / GROWING LIBRARY OF TEMPLATES AND EXTENSIONS
      what more can you ask for ;)

Oh and its created by our FANTASTIC friends at RT too!
    • Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Rich Starkie.
    • Walt

Posted 6 years 9 months ago
    • Matt,
      Gantry 5 has arrived for Grav.
      Would you prefer Grav by itself or Grav+Gantry.
      Please suggest "why" in general terms.
      Thanks...
  • Re: Grav??? Say whaaaaaaaaa

• Hi Walt

Both GRAV & GRAV+Gantry5 have their own advantages, I use both GRAV skeletons and GRAV + RT Gantry5 Themes (Helium & Club themes) regularly

Both ways work very similarly to how Joomla! or WP works both with or without G5, the main difference is that there is no Database with GRAV, everything is stored in Caches and files.

Which CMS (J!, WP or GRAV) you use, depends on the funtionality you need, GRAV is still growing in functionality, although lots of plugins and extensions are availble, there are still some things that are not possible that you may need to be able to do.

I would suggest that you look at the plugins / extensions that are available for GRAV before you decide which is most suitable

I find that GRAV+G5 is more useful due to the club templates built in particles though
    • Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Rich Starkie.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Walt -

Rich summed it up pretty well... which tool you use depends on the job. I've deployed both standard Grav skeletons and RocketTheme Gantry+Grav packages for various clients... If I know the client is going to want to manage their own content then I would lean towards using Gantry as it makes it easier on them... but there's certainly cases where the content a client might need to manage is plenty easy to do in the Grav Admin already... so then it may just come down to style/design if I think a RocketTheme pre-styled site will give me an edge versus a standard Grav skeleton or something purely custom.
    • The following users have thanked you: Rich Starkie

• SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

Posted 6 years 8 months ago
    • Walt wrote:
      Matt,
      Gantry 5 has arrived for Grav.
      Would you prefer Grav by itself or Grav+Gantry.
      Please suggest "why" in general terms.
      Thanks...

I'd add one important thing.

Grav was built by members of the RocketTheme team using many of the same technologies that Gantry 5 is built on. They fit together like a glove because they were literally made for each other. Same basic UI, same YAML & Twig codebases, etc.

Gantry 5 wouldn't be what it is today without Grav. Grav wouldn't have been possible if we weren't working on Gantry 5 and the technologies it incorporates. Each benefitted greatly from the work being put into the other.

If something about Grav creates an obstacle for Gantry 5, it's quick to be resolved because the same team works on both of them.

That's a really good reason to give it a shot. :)
    • Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds