Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Re: Hacked Joomla Site...

• Re: Re: Hacked Joomla Site...

Posted 17 years 8 months ago
    • This is the only thing I disagree on. Generally, people create sites on a specific subject which in turn reflects the keywords.

That is one of the problems. In reality you can only optimize a single web page for one keyword or keyword phrase with one search engine. This used to be more of a truth then it is now because many search engines results are feed from a couple of search engines. The part about one keyword or keyword phrase is correct. You can have an have a web page about "barbecue" and have it optimized for the keyword phrase "barbecue sauce." Because "barbecue" is a much tougher keyword to be in the top 30 of results you might not be in the top 200 but you could be number one in the results of "barbecue sauce."

You are correct in this example to optimize for "barbecue sauce" and pay for advertising for the keyword "barbecue." You can eventually be in the top 30 for the tough keyword "barbecue" but it might take you a year or more to get there because of the competition. On a tough keyword you have to do everything right and have a lot of "good high page rank links" pointing to your site.

Now if you optimize and do everything right for the phrase "barbecue sauce" you will show up in the results of similar key words on some search engines like the following: barbecue recipes, barbecue grills.
      I have a question for you, do you think it would be an advantage to rename the slice names for the template? I have read that file names and alt tags help can help improve search engine ranking. I am not sure if you could make use of slice alt tags but renaming slices would be easy enough.

Yes, but don't over do it or you might get banned for spamming. One alt tag on a web page with your main key word pharse in the middle of seven words is enough.

On instance of your key word in the title and heading tag in the middle of seven other words is enough. One time in the middle of the keyword tag again seven or so words is enough. The keyword in the keyword tag of 35 keywords and the keyword being repeated 10 of the 35 times will get you banned.

More than anything else do a Google site map.

Ray

• Hi, thanks for that.

I already have a sitemap. I am fortunate enough to have a domain name which also contains the two main keywords, which I guess helps. Would it be of benefit to create a subdomain that contains a lesser but desired keyword and have it pointing to an internal content page? For example: contentmanagementsite.com & joomla.mycontentmanagement.com ? (These aren't real urls, just an example).

Mame du Bois
    • "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain

• Just make sure it's a Google Site map. Also Yahoo is experimenting with their own site map.
      Would it be of benefit to create a subdomain that contains a lesser but desired keyword and have it pointing to an internal content page?

I never fool around nor do I recommend my clients fool around with sub domains. Also no re directs.

Ray
    • Last Edit: 17 years 8 months ago by Raymond Basso.

• Hi,

I need to clariy. I wasn't suggesting to try and use sub domains to artificially boost ranking. What I was getting at was, using a subdomain to hightlight a specific secondary keyword and point that subdomain to the relevant part of your site. For example:

If I had a technology website which was primarily centred around business software, but I also had a section dedicated to games, I would create a subdomain games.mysite.com and point it to the front page of the games section. That way, I could use that subdomain as a side door in directing traffic to the site. The subdomain makes the URL relevant to both human and computer users and you can be sure that when someone clicks on games.mysite.com they are not going to be looking at a heap of information on business software. This ensures they don't arrive at your site and have to 'dig' to find content.

Kind regards,
      Mame du Bois
    • "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds