Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Mac, Windows, or Linux?

• Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Mac, Windows, or Linux?

Posted 18 years 3 months ago
    • sure it's dead easy, buy a mouse with 2+ buttons :) I have a logitech mx300 which I love. I have also mapped the 2 side buttons to show desktop, and expose and the middle button to dejamenu.

Also the new apple mightymouse is pretty good, I have one of those also, but usually use it on my powerbook.
      Stewart Thompson wrote:
      Question: The only thing that I am not really liking about my new mac is the lack of right-click.  I really got used to this on the pc.  I know that I can "ctrl-click" but is there another way to do this by just using the mouse?
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

• Re: Mac, Windows, or Linux?

• Average Day...

Windows 70%
      Linux 25%
      Other 5%

Andy, I would love to see your software list for the Apple as that has always been a big hangup for me. I keep trying to come up with a reason to buy one their notebooks though.

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • Long time MAC graphic guy - Big RAM, Double Graphics Card G4, 21" Apple monitor
      plus 17" Laptop - wireless freedom . . .
      Powerbook G3 Laptop exclusively for writing

but i bought a PC on Boxing Day :-\

Now I have 3 computers working - PC for Joomla, Cpanel admin, Internet Research tools -
      Big Mac for Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut
      Laptop for GoLive or Dreamweaver, Blackberry contact syncing to Entourage and Podcast recording, Logic Pro 7

Of course lots of other apps but all of the above get used in day.

Eagerly awaiting the G5 intel

It's all good ;D
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• why pc for joomla?

can anyone answer ... why would mac have issues with joomla?

also, using a mac - if you see an image that you like and you can't right click to save it how do you save it??
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
    • HNL
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• damo wrote:
      also, using a mac - if you see an image that you like and you can't right click to save it how do you save it??

Hi damo

Left-Click on the image and hold mouse button down.
      Move cursor to desktop
      Let go of mousebutton.

Of course when they have tried to protect the image,
      it won't work that way.

Cheers, HansNL
      ==========
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• ok, so it's not a critical flaw that apple forgot to think about.
      i ask because i'm now in the evaluating stage and i'd almost arrived at mac until i saw the post from colin about using the pc for joomla and cpanel ...
      if i'm going mac i dont want to be running two machines but i don't understand why there would be a need unless the mac did things so differently that using the pc was just easier.
      light somebody, please shine on me ... i've seen this www.apple.com/macbookpro/ and i'd like it but not if it's going to make things more difficult or cumbersome
    • Last Edit: 18 years 2 months ago by damo.
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• I use a mac and have no issues, infact i find i actually save time as using a mac is simply more effecient than a pc after you get used to it. I say this with experience as i've been a 'power' pc user for 15 years, and have only recently switched. You really should get a 2 ore more button mouse, my logitech mx310 works great.

On the intel based machines, i'm still on the fence. I think it will be some time before there's enough native intel compiled apps to make me use one for my primary machine. I might consider a laptop tho. If i was switching as my primary machine i would still get a powerpc based one. Powerpc will last a good 3 or 4 years yet.
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

• damo wrote:
      ok, so it's not a critical flaw that apple forgot to think about.
      i ask because i'm now in the evaluating stage and i'd almost arrived at mac until i saw the post from colin about using the pc for joomla and cpanel ...
      if i'm going mac i dont want to be running two machines but i don't understand why there would be a need unless the mac did things so differently that using the pc was just easier.
      light somebody, please shine on me ... i've seen this www.apple.com/macbookpro/ and i'd like it but not if it's going to make things more difficult or cumbersome

Damo,
      Go to commandn.typepad.com/ and watch episode #29. They have some interesting things about the new macbookpro and probally waiting to purchase one for a while. Also some more interesting things about Apple. Pretty interesting show each week!
    • www.bentonhighschool.com/

• damo wrote:
      why pc for joomla?

can anyone answer ... why would mac have issues with joomla?

If you're using the single button mouse with a Mac, the equivalent action to a right-click is hold down the "Control" key when clicking.

Second choice is get a 2 button mouse. But I'm so used to Control-clicking now, that I've mapped my right button on my 'Mighty Mouse' to Exposé.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds