Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

mac users, have you seen this yet?

• Re: mac users, have you seen this yet?

Posted 17 years 8 months ago
    • Peter Osipof wrote:
      I was thinking of that, but another factor of not going Mac is the price of 2,499 I know in video they compared it with Dell and they came out with lower price but since 1995 I have always assembled my own computer, I checked couple of places and I can assemble the same configuration for 1,900 with the 600 leftover I can add two 20" monitors, I think for Mac to succeed even more they have to allow assembly.

I understand your position, but one of the drawing points (and reason for a higher price point) is the fact that all the components are designed to work together and the operating system is designed to work with those components. This eliminates a lot of issues that many people would face if they tried to custom build a system. Everything just works together. Also, with the iLife software and not having to buy anti-virus software (I know you should probably have it, but even the editor of Macworld recently stated he doesn't use it) you save a few hundred dollars on software you would buy w/ a PC.

Anyway, its all a matter of preference and I'd hate to start a PC/Mac flame war on this forum.
    • Gino1968
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: mac users, have you seen this yet?

• I'm really amazed by the WWDC conference movie. First time I see a Mac's OS "working".
      Cool features for the new OS Leopard. (spaces, timemachines, backdrops, ...)

If I would take the jump from windows (since 1990) to Mac would it be smart to buy Microsoft's products like msoffice for mac?
      Aren't there any other alternatives?
      I guess Fireworks and/or Photoshop is available for Mac too ... (same method to work with it?)

Thanks in advance

• As far as Office goes there are alternatives in the Open source community. It depends on what you need it for. If you have to deal with files created in Word, there are some that can handle them. I use Apple's Pages (part of iWork) for my documents. Lots of nice templates (our school newsletter "The Eagle" is done in Pages). I also use Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac and it works great. Every once in a while have a problem if I make a PowerPoint file and then try to run it on a Windows computer. But if I can use my own I use Keynote (also part of iWork).

For Fireworks and Photoshop, you may want to wait until they come out with Universal apps (that run natively on the Intel chip). It should be around the time that Leopard comes out.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 8 months ago by Mark Gomez.
    • Gino1968
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Marc,

Thank you very much for your input.

I didn't know about "universal apps" till now. I've already seen the symbol but didn't know what it meant.
      I'll probably take the jump next year (2007) when Leopard comes out (and all the other universal apps).
      I found a link on www.macworld.com/topics/software/universal/index.php

You got some other interesting "good" websites for Mac enthousiats?

Kind regards,

• By 'universal apps' you mean if I buy a copy of Photoshop or iWorks off the shelf I can either install it on Windows or Mac?
    • VirtueShop

• No, since Apple switched to Intel chips all the software written for their PowerPC chips had to be recompiled for the Intel chip. Universal means the app will run natively on an Intel or PowerPC chip. It is still incompatible with Windows. If an app isn't universal (like everything from Adobe) then it has to be interpreted for the Intel chip using their Rosetta technology so it runs a little slower than it would if it were compiled for the Intel chip.

As far as Mac enthusiast links, I usually just do the rounds between macworld.com, macaddict.com, macrumors.com. Those all have links to others.

• Peter:No. Universal applications are those made to run on both Intel- and PowerPC-based (PPC) Mac computers. Basically Apple decided to switch computer chips from the IBM PowerPC to Intel last year. Thanks to the switch to Intel chips, Apple (through Boot Camp) can now boot up Windows!

But Universal apps are Apple programs, not Windows. If you buy Photoshop, you now have a choice. You can either buy Photoshop made for Mac (not yet available as Universal, can run as PPC) and run it on OSX or buy Photoshop for Windows by launching Boot Camp (with Windows XP installed [must buy on your own]).

Boot Camp allows any Mac computers to boot up Windows. There's another program called Parallels that allows you to run Windows on a Mac. http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

Mark: Here are some Mac websites:
      http://www.macworld.com/news/
      http://www.macminute.com/
      http://www.macupdate.com/
      http://www.apple.com/
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds