Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Why can't I get anchors to work?

• Why can't I get anchors to work?

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • I've never tried using anchors in Joomla before, but... I go through the motions of putting in an anchor and giving it a name, but when I then try to link to it there is nothing in the "anchor" section of the "insert/edit link" box except the original three dashes!

Am I doing something amazingly stupid?

It looks obvious enough - why doesn't it work? Thinking about it, I'm sure this has nothing to do with templates or Rocket Themes, but I glanced through the Joomla forum and couldn't find anything that seemed relevant - and this seems a more lively community capable of providing answers! So sorry if this isn't the best place to ask - but if anyone has an easy answer it would be appreciated!

Frances
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Why can't I get anchors to work?

• sounds like your wysiwyg editor is stripping stuff out, I don't use one myself, i just put the html in raw in the textarea and have never had a problem with anchors or any other html.
  • Re: Why can't I get anchors to work?

• Are you trying to link 'intro text' area to 'main text' area?
    • VirtueShop

• Andy - many thanks for your reply. I have tried inserting anchors straight into the HTML but can't get that to work either - although as my knowledge of HTML is extremely basic there is plenty of room for error.

For example I put in <a name="test5" title="test5">text</a> as an anchor, then use <a href="test5">...</a> to link to it from another content item and I get :

404 Not Found
      The requested URL /test5 does not exist.

Is there something I'm missing out? I was doubtful about whether something so simple would work in Joomla... The anchors don't show up in the "edit link" box if I move out of the content item I start them in.

I'm using JCE as an editor, and I'm puzzled that other people don't seem to be having the same issue.

Peter - No, mainly I'm trying to link Intro text to other Intro text but between different content items. Is that likely to make a difference? Within the same item I can just about get an anchor to work... but that isn't what I need. Any other thoughts?

I posted the same question on the Joomla.org forum and the single reply so far suggested the problem may be to do with SEF and directed me to this thread: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,67144.0.html . I haven't even started working out what all of this means... but most of the people seem to be talking about anchors no longer linking after the upgrade to 1.0.10, whereas I've not been able to get them to work in the first place.

Thanks for your help!

Frances

• Thought I'd better mention that with the HTML I've tried using

<a href="#test5">...</a> to link

but that also didn't work and the code of the anchors that do work within single content items is without the #, so I reverted to that.... But neither function between content items.

Frances
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• you do need the # for anchors to work. between pages it's harder unless you input the html link yourself as the url would be www.yoursite/somepage#anchor

• Thanks Andy! - I think putting in the full url plus anchor will work from a quick experiment. :D

After reading the thread (above) about SEF I was thinking of installing 404SEFx to see if it helped this issue , and as it sounds a good idea for SEO anyway. Presumably I should install this before setting up lots of anchors with full page urls as the page addresses will change and render my links invalid - is this right?

Also does anyone have advice/recommendations about whether 404SEFx is the one to choose? There seems a wide selection of SEF extensions and it's difficult to know which would be best. I'd prefer something that doesn't require high levels of technical expertise to set up! Thoughts appreciated.

Frances
    • dru pal
    • Rocketeer

• This is most interesting. [ADDED NOTE: I think I may be off topic a wee bit - sorry, way late here, er...if that's an excuse.]

I tried to find a SOLUTION to the fact [as far as I'm concerned] to DREAMWEAVER code NOT playing properly with the template override, if that makes enough sense...

WHENEVER I'd do HTML stuff in DW and then paste it into the backend [with NO editor on] there would be font weirdness etc etc etc

So: I posted here and there and got some groovy tips.... I also turned OFF the CSS prefs in DWeaver... etc etc...
      FINALLY gave up. and use FCK which i love So much as it NEVER seems to mess the code...

CAN ANYONE tell me they have used Dweaver and NOT have problems...

I thought there was SOME WAY to use over ride options in joomla in the backend...
      Though am still not using DW due to this prob. DW was sweet really.... though watchin' WEIRD stuff happen wasn't.

ANY ideas or CONFIRMATION that DW can be used without weirdness greatly appreciated OBVIOUSLeeeeee....

tnx

mark
    • Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by dru pal.

• Mark Stewart wrote:
      This is most interesting. [ADDED NOTE: I think I may be off topic a wee bit - sorry, way late here, er...if that's an excuse.]

I tried to find a SOLUTION to the fact [as far as I'm concerned] to DREAMWEAVER code NOT playing properly with the template override, if that makes enough sense...

WHENEVER I'd do HTML stuff in DW and then paste it into the backend [with NO editor on] there would be font weirdness etc etc etc

So: I posted here and there and got some groovy tips.... I also turned OFF the CSS prefs in DWeaver... etc etc...
      FINALLY gave up. and use FCK which i love So much as it NEVER seems to mess the code...

CAN ANYONE tell me they have used Dweaver and NOT have problems...

I thought there was SOME WAY to use over ride options in joomla in the backend...
      Though am still not using DW due to this prob. DW was sweet really.... though watchin' WEIRD stuff happen wasn't.

ANY ideas or CONFIRMATION that DW can be used without weirdness greatly appreciated OBVIOUSLeeeeee....

tnx

mark

I sometimes use Dreamweaver and don't have any problem. I edit the file in the WYSIWYG view as need be and I switch to the html view to copy the relevent snippets of code from, paste them into the joomla (no editor on) and nary a problem.

Fyi, and perhaps not directly related, there is a Dreamweaver template extension:
      mamboxchange.com/frs/?group_id=106&release_id=1801
      Some info:
      www.mambosolutions.com/dw_tutorial/#dw_extension

Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds