Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED FTP transfert issue

• Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

SOLVED FTP transfert issue

Posted 17 years 8 months ago
    • Hello,

I have an issue with several installations when I want to upload a modified file (eg: index.php) in the template directory. I use Filezilla and I always have a "critical error of transfert"! I don't know why I have this issue :'( I applyied CHMOD 777 to the template directory...
      Someone know what can I do in this case?

Thanks a lot!

PS: I don't have this issue with the default templates, just with new templates.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 8 months ago by .
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED FTP transfert issue

• Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Thanks Damo, I will try this extension. I also verified that I have the same issue when I try to use the file manager of my hosting!!!
      I don't know what I can do because the permissions of a new template folder are the same of the default template. It's very strange and it's not the first time I have to lead with this %$@"# issue :P
      The only thing I can do is delete the template from Joomla, overwrite the files that I want to modify in my PC and make a new installation with the modified files!!! I think I'm spending time for nothing to make this work.

• First off, I assume that you can otherwise use Filezilla just fine?

When using Filezilla, do you right click the file that you want to edit on the server and from the context menu choose "View / Edit"? (see attached image)

Filezilla works sweet for me.

Best of luck.

*edit*

Have you tried first renaming the file that you edited on the server, for example from index.php to index.php.bak - then upload the edited file with the original name. I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 8 months ago by .
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hello Robert and thanks for your help!

I tried to rename the files and upload the others with original names but it don't work :-[
      I also tried to rename the entire folder to upload another with all the files modified. This solution failed too :( :(

I never used the option mencioned (view/edit). It's possible to make changes in the file directly in the server if I use this option?

Thanks a lot!

• Franck Benedittini wrote:
      I never used the option mencioned (view/edit). It's possible to make changes in the file directly in the server if I use this option?

Thanks a lot!

I'm happy to help if I can!

In the Filezilla Settings, you can choose what editor you would like Filezilla to use when you RIGHT click a file on the server and choose the View/ Edit option from the context menu - I simply set Filezilla up to open Wordpad, my editor of choice.
      Try using this method, (mentioned above and in my previous post), after editing the file in whichever editor you prefer, simply close the editor - the editor will ask if yoyu want to save the file, choose Yes - now Filezilla (which should still be open in the background) will pop up a small window and will ask you if you would like to upload the edited file, choose Yes.
      Hopefully this works for you.

If this doesn't work, I want you to create a text document and try to upload that to the server - let me know how it goes. If the text document will not upload, it must be your Filezilla settings.

I'll try and help you until you get this solved.

Best of luck and cheers!
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Ok Robert! I'll try this solution and I will tell you if it work for me ;)
  • Re: SOLVED FTP transfert issue

• Hi all! I am new to Rockettheme.com (and Joomla for that matter) And this is my first post..

Just an FYI, Joomla (and 4.5.whatever) hands over ownership of files/directories created (templates, components, maybe even mambots) to the nobody user/group. What this means is that you are no longer the owner of the files and cannot modify them unless it is through Joomla/4.whatever. For some reason, this behavior has not been completely consistent, so I don't know how the system chooses which packages to protect in this way....

Without shell/root access, you are pretty much out of luck. However there is a work around and a solution. To solve my immediate needs, I downloaded a copy of JoomlaXplorer, it is a component that can be accessed from the Admin site of your Joomla install.. It works like a web based FTP client, but can over write the directories/files owned by "nobody" I found JoomlaXplorer here:

http://www.joomlahacks.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,41/func,fileinfo/id,248/

The solution is to modify your Joomla Global Configuration, under the "Server" tab you can choose the permissions to give to Joomla created files/directories (this will affect the files/folders created from this point forward) I make my files 644 and my directories 777

Note, I did not run the "convert all files/folders using these permissions" because I am not familiar enough with the system to do this. I did uninstall the theme I had originally, adjusted this setting, and re-installed. Now I am able to upload my logo.png as expected.

If anyone has another solution, I would be happy to hear it. Also, if anyone knows why Joomla protects these items in such a manner, I would be interested in hearing it.

Good luck, hope this helps!
      Johnny
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hi Johnny! Welcome to the RocketTheme comunity :D
      Thanks a lot for your informations. I'll try to do like this and I hope this work for me!!! ;)
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hi John & Robert!
      I tried the joomlaXplorer like John have sugested and it's working :D . I really don't like to use an ftp based in browser like this extension but I can overwrite, delete and send files...
      Like John said, the user is nobody (?)! I don't understand why; it's very strange...

Robert thank you very much for your help! Members like you and john make this community very good ;D

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds