Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Music copyright question

• Music copyright question

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • We have a youth group joomla site (using extremities2) and our worship team (consisting of teens) wanted to post some of the worship times on the site, which is easy enough. I'm just wondering how legal it is to post their music, which is not original, on our website. I'm assuming there are copyright issues involved and told them we would not do it until we found out. Does anybody know or have some good resources to find out if we can and how we can get permission if we need to?
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Music copyright question

• The church should pay a publishing fee for each song sheet that they use. To post that song sheet (lyrics or music sheet) is an infringement on copyright. To avoid that, you need to get written permission from the music publishing company - and that's usually very hard to get.

Copyrighted music that is performed and recorded and put of the Internet is also an infringement of copyright. Again, you have to get the written permission of the music publisher.

Some churches which use a lot of copyrighted music pays an annual fee to the publihing company or a music service to cover them. It's like a bulk fee.

Copyright infringement is rampant in some churches. Pirated software is also. It's not just churches though, but doesn't Jesus call us to be 'blameless'? A lot of folks think it's no big deal, but if we are really followers of Jesus, shouldn't we stay away from lawlessness? I I've been guilty of this too. It wasn't until a software title that I worked on was pirated did the principle make sense.

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
  • Re: Music copyright question

• Dave,
      Thanks for the reply. I know we have a CCLI license, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover what we're talking about. I completely agree that copyright infringement is rampant, but we as Christians are called to a high standard and should be above reproach. It would be really nice if there were an easy way to do this. We perform songs from multiple artists and publishers and would require too much time to contact all and organize all the permissions. I know I've heard in Australia, there is an annual fee you can pay to use copyrighted music. I don't know if we have any aussie designers on this forum that could verify that. it would be great if we could have the same thing here. There are a lot of us that would pay for it if it were available and a lot of people that use copyrighted material anyway that would be willing to pay for it if the process was simpler than it currently is.
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Music copyright question

• Hi Mark,

That would be neat. I hope the fee wouldn't end up being too costly. Hope someone responds!

dave :)
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
  • Re: Music copyright question

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds