Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Server & JSAS - WOW!

• Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Joomla Server & JSAS - WOW!

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • OK, after installing JSAS three times, I finally managed to get it to work. Joomla Server worked the first time, however...

...The challenge might have been the newer version of PHPMyAdmin. It is a little different than the one in Joomla Server. Once I saw what the sequence was, I was able to get the site up - sort of.

With JSAS, I did have to go into the content, menu items and such and reset the links to my machine, rather than the web address paths. I did have to do that in Joomla Server, but a whole lot less (all in JSAS, two in Joomla Server). It seems that Joomla Server changed most of the links for me. JASA didn't - maybe I didn't hold my mouth in the correct position.

Where as Joomla Server seemed easier to install (JSAS was easy too, but not AS easy).

Joomla Server has it's menu of features in the Taskbar (when running) and JSAS has some kind of interface.

JSAS allows you to set the virtual Drive (set to Y:). I didn't see that for Joomla Server (both default to W:) - it may exist, don't know yet.

JSAS has a Wizard-like feature that lets you create up to five Joomla sites from scratch. That is a great feature, especially for the novice user. I didn't see taht for Joomla server. I had to do that manually.

If I wanted to get up quickly, Joomla Server might be my choice. If I was a novice, starting to build a site from scratch, I might go with JSAS, but since the verdict is still out for me (both apps are stiil new to me), I will still try them both for a while.

Can anyone else fill in the gaps that I left?

dave
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

• Bah this Joomla server does not work on my site :(

Started with an error about not being able to find www/admin/redirect.html (its there)... I closed down the window and I can see that the Joomla icon is running in the taskbar.

Click on it and it gives me a blank page, same with the other programs.

Are there some settings I should know of?

• Hhmm the first file is releated to a file on a drive called w:
      I guess thats a virtual drive of some sort - is that something I should set up or?
      Its not there thats for sure.
      Also when the Joomla icons show in the taskbar, the blank pages im getting is related to "localhost" and apparently that is not showing either..
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Thomas,

Hmmm... Mine installed and started right up, first time.

Try deleting the app and all folders. It seemed to install everything by itself, for me.

dave

• Nope no luck im affraid... Can you see the w: drive the install is making btw?

• Got it working :)

Apparently Skype was using port80 that some part of the install needed. I killed Skype and now its running fine and dandy :)
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Thomas M. Nielsen wrote:
      Got it working :)

Apparently Skype was using port80 that some part of the install needed. I killed Skype and now its running fine and dandy :)

That nasty old Skype! Glad you got it working, Thomas. Yes, I see the W: drive. Apperently Virtual Drives use the last few letters ofthe alphabet. Let me know what you think.

BTW, what are you going to do about Skype?

dave

• Well I closed it down and ran the joomla thingy and now they seem to be able to work together..
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Yippee! Glad you got them working together.

dave

• Most fun part is to see how fast Joomla runs localy - an internet connection with that speed, would def. be sweet :)
      20mbit lines are now available in my city, perhaps that will make the gab smaller, right now Im using a 4mbit line...

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds