Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Learning PHP and CSS

• Learning PHP and CSS

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • I was wondering if anyone here knows good beginner books for CSS and PHP. Or would it be better to take some kind of classes. One day I would love to be able to make templates like Andy's... but I don't know where to start.

Any ideas?
    • Barbara

Re: Learning PHP and CSS

• Re: Learning PHP and CSS

• Barbara! Thanks for the great resources!
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Before you spend a lot on books, ask yourself how it is that you learn.

If you learn visually, you might take classes or a 'how to' tutorial.

If you learn by reading, by all means, books will help you.

Tailor your learning to the type of learner you are. It may make the difference between gaining the info much faster and not learning at all.

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

• David Goodwin wrote:
      Before you spend a lot on books, ask yourself how it is that you learn.

If you learn visually, you might take classes or a 'how to' tutorial.

If you learn by reading, by all means, books will help you.

Tailor your learning to the type of learner you are. It may make the difference between gaining the info much faster and not learning at all.

dave

Dave,

You are right. I am more of a 'jump in and learn by doing' kind of girl. I would need to see it visually and then try to re-create whatever it is I am learning. I wonder if the Lynda program would be best.

Thanks!
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• how can i help, i taught andy everything he knows ... honestly :-[

dave is right. it's important to know how you learn; if i were you (after what you've said) i'd have a really big reference book next to myslef and then start to play. then logon to startrek.com/forums and make some new friends

i'm in a playful mood and it is the water cooler ...
      Natalie F Brown wrote:
      I was wondering if anyone here knows good beginner books for CSS and PHP. Or would it be better to take some kind of classes. One day I would love to be able to make templates like Andy's... but I don't know where to start.

Any ideas?
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• May want to consider looking into PHPEdit, it's not free (has a trial tho), but it's a pretty slick editor along the lines of Visual Studio/Borland Development Studio, even has a debugger and syntax highlighting and all that. Found it pretty useful for edjumakating myself when I started with PHP.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Kat05.
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• At what level with PHP should you be in order to use PHPEdit?

dave
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Kat05.
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

• Natalie F Brown wrote:
      I was wondering if anyone here knows good beginner books for CSS and PHP. Or would it be better to take some kind of classes. One day I would love to be able to make templates like Andy's... but I don't know where to start.

Any ideas?

I really like Web Designer's Reference by Craig Grannel. I think that it's mis-titled, but it is an excellent book on xhtml and css. I bought it planning to use it as I generally use computer books--grab it when I can't figure something out, look through the table of contents or index, and find what I need. Whhile it is well indexed and can be used that way, I found myself just reading the book. It really was good reading, very practical, and does a great job explaining xhtml and css. It is by no means advanced--but a great place to start. Good for Beginners and Intermediates.

Steve

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds