Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

What is the best way to store files on a Joomla website?

• What is the best way to store files on a Joomla website?

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • Of course Joomla is great for writing, editing, and organizing the text content of a website. In general though, when I write content for a website, I have several images that accompany the text. To date I’ve been making a subdirectory under ‘images/stories/’ like ‘/images/stories/NewName’, giving it a name similar to the text it accompanies. When I need the image I do an insert image adding the {mosimage} to the body. Using this structure of a subdirectory allows me easier clean up later by deleting the accompanying subdirectory when I remove the article. This works, but I still find myself using FTP more than I would like and trying to remember what I stored where and so on. Files give me the same little grief. For instance, say I write a new piece of software and want to link to it in the context of an article. I find myself resorting to creating directories and sending the file via FTP again. I’m also looking to prevent people from linking directly to the file.

I feel like I might be missing something. Does anyone else have a better approach to this or perhaps know of a component for me to try? Thanks.
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: What is the best way to store files on a Joomla website?

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • i persoanlly have no probelms storing files in the media manager in a similar way to you mentioned. i dont however use the {mosimage} tag so if i'm instering images I always have to admin windows open ...

the media manager needs some work though ...

if you wanted to protect yourself from leechers or have other security concenrs then you shoudl look at this:
      forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,186.0.html
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
    • zerolight
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: What is the best way to store files on a Joomla website?

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • I store all my images in Gallery G2 and embed them into my stories using an img link. Rather than using mosimage. I've now switched over to using JD-WordPress for blog content and obviously this can't use mosimage anyway.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds