Welcome Guest! Login
2 items / $48.00 Checkout

Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

• Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • My question relates to best method of setting up a new joomla site that will eventually replace an old site on the existing hosting account.
      In the past I have set up sites on a subdomain and moved them across to the root directory of the domain when the go ahead or 'green light' is given for the new site to go live. This time I do not have the luxury of a hosting account that has a easily accessible cpanel etc to manage things and nor can I set up a subdomain etc without incurring additional fees.
      As its is, I will be requesting that current site is transferred from a windows based server to a apache webserver with php and mysql. (The hosting service does not seem particularly joomla or (customer) friendly!)
      I'm not sure what is the most effective means of setting up/install location of the test site...Any suggestions please?...

Thanks
      Denise
    • Denise
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

• First suggestion: Get Joomla Server (free). You can set up a complete Joomla site on your computer with Apache, MySQL and PHPAdmin. It's like your computer becomes a web development server. I use it and sing it's praises. I've built three sites that are now up and running. I got my replacement time down to 20 minutes with very little adjustments.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is the existing site Joomla or something else (Windows Server, I'm assuming)?

2. Will you want to save content and info from the existing site?

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
  • Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

• Thanks for your reply David.

In answer to your questions
      QUESTIONS:

1. Is the existing site Joomla or something else (Windows Server, I'm assuming)?

2. Will you want to save content and info from the existing site?

1. NO - simple HTML based site currently on a Windows based server (I am currently in the process of requesting that the site is transferred across to a Linux based server with mysql and PHP support...bad thing is the Hosting company I am required to continue to use doesn't really offer any joomla support or cpanel access...infact tech support staff not really that helpful....)

2. NO... the new site will completely replace the existing on change over.

My goal was to build the joomla based site in an environment where the Client could preview it etc in development and then be in a position to transfer the site on completion with minimum fuss.

If I try using the Joomla Server is it then relatively easy to transfer re the files and created database?
      (I have had trouble exporting/importing mySql files todate)

Thanks
      Denise
    • Denise
  • Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

• What I have done before is place Joomla! in a sub folder on my server.

www.mysite.com/joomla  ; Then I put the site to offline, so no one could view. I could never get that JoomlaServer thingy to work on my desktop.. ::)

When my site would be finished, I would switch folders and change my configuration.php to reflect the path.

It may be unconventional, but that's how I roll.... 8)

Cheers,

Mikey Vee
    • Youyou
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

• Mikey Vee wrote:
      When my site would be finished, I would switch folders and change my configuration.php to reflect the path.
      It may be unconventional, but that's how I roll.... 8)

Ah ah
      I do exactly the same ;D
      Just a little difference, I use subdomains instead of subfolders.
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Since I had a lot of problems few days ago with one of my site, I'm totally paranoic (don't know if it's the correct word in english :P )
      Then, I have one domain only for test and also easyphp in my computer!

I always build a site in local (just all design adjusments). Then I upload the files with some changes but I insert the contents only in the website. First I make a test online in my dev domain if I'm not sure about the result, compatibility or stability of the component or module.

However, I made some sites in local and uploaded the files and DB in my server without problems. It's just necessary to changes the configuration.php
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Franck wrote:
      Since I had a lot of problems few days ago with one of my site, I'm totally paranoic (don't know if it's the correct word in english :P )
      Then, I have one domain only for test and also easyphp in my computer!

I always build a site in local (just all design adjusments). Then I upload the files with some changes but I insert the contents only in the website. First I make a test online in my dev domain if I'm not sure about the result, compatibility or stability of the component or module.

However, I made some sites in local and uploaded the files and DB in my server without problems. It's just necessary to changes the configuration.php

That's how I do it now - plus I can take the laptop (with Joomla Server) to the client's office. They love seeing thing as they would look online.

You could do the 'sub-folder' or 'sub-domain' way as well - assuming that you server is Apache, MtSQL and PHP available. If it's still on Windows Server and needs to be until the new site is ready, you'll need to do it local on your computer. One more time -IT'S FREE! USE JOOMLA SERVER!!

dave :)

• One more time -IT'S FREE! USE JOOMLA SERVER!!

I must be doing something wrong. When I fired up Joomla Server, I could not edit in the backend... ??? So guess what, I gave up..

Maybe I will take another look at it and read how to do it... :D

Cheers,

Mike <---Stooopid :D
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Mikey Vee wrote:
      One more time -IT'S FREE! USE JOOMLA SERVER!!

I must be doing something wrong. When I fired up Joomla Server, I could not edit in the backend... ??? So guess what, I gave up..

Maybe I will take another look at it and read how to do it... :D

Cheers,

Mike <---Stooopid :D

Hi Mike, I had problems like this until I became familar with the 'configuration.php' file in the root. If you drop me a IM message or I can give you my phone # so you can call. I'll talk you trough it. joomla Sever is now my number one test platform for me now.

d.
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• If you drop me a IM message or I can give you my phone # so you can call.

Hey! Skype is FREE TOO! :D

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds