Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

• Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • ...am testing out Joomla Server now...

I noticed that JSAS uses Joomla 1.010...is it possible to replace/upgrade this folder with the full Joomla package for most recent 1.0.11 ? and expect it to still function?

....haven't had complete success yet....
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
    • Denise
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Joomla Server is much simpler to install whatever Joomla you want. You can do it to with JSAS, but it's a little more difficult.

With Joomla Server, I just created another folder on the same level as he original 'joomla' folder (inside wdisk/www/your_folder. It gets a little tricky here. You must use MyPHPadmin' to create a database with a user (similar to what you have to do in the host's admin panel before installing Joomla. Then replace 'joomla' in the URL with the name of your folder. It will ask you to install Joomla just like on the web.

Have more question? I'm sure you do, but it's really simple once you get the hang of it. I'm not a programmer, but I do have a couple years experience at Joomla (Mambo earlier).

I tried both Joomla Server and JSAS extensively. JSAS looked a lot nicer with the interface. I had more hope in that app at first. Then I realized that I had more ease of use and flexability with Joomla Server. You may have that with JSAS, but it wasn't obvious to me, so I went back to Joomla Server.

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
  • Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

Posted 17 years 5 months ago
    • Thanks again for the tips...being a little new to it all I went off in pursuit of Joomla Server and assumed its was the same as Joomla Stand Alone Server! hence went ahead and used JSAS before I realised there was a difference!!

So far so good ... but now I really need to get a site up in a test space for the client to see for start of the week ...
      I am currently waiting on the existing Host company to do followup on a support query re transfer to linnux so in the meantime I intend to load the site onto a test subdomain 'test' on one of my sites where I have already installed joomla.

I seem to have successfully exported the database from the local site using PHP My Admin ( and an Import of the new DB) BUT my next question is in regards to the Configuration file...and the changes I need to make to that. ...

Could you possibly point me in the correct direction?
      1. Liitle confused re $mosConfig_password as this seems to be blank in local copy....(do I just use password from existing Config file sitting on test server space?
      2. Change $mosConfig_db to macth new DB
      3. Change $mosConfig_absolutepath to '/home/mydomain/public_htm/testl';

what else?

Thanks
      Denise
    • Denise
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Re: setting up a new joomla-rocketheme test site while old site is still accessi

Posted 17 years 5 months ago
    • 1. Using 'phpMyAdmin' you set the password in the database - under 'Permissions'. After the password is set in the database, open the 'configuration.php' file and type in the same password info for '$mosConfig_password'. When Joomla loads up, it looks for that password info in the 'configuration.php' file in order to access the database.

2. Yes, the name of the database here should be what the database name finally is.

3. If that is the path to a folder inside you site already. Absolute Path is different for each server. For example, mine is '/var/www/html'. If I have a folder inside the main root of the site, my Absilute Path may look like this: '/var/www/html/folder'. If I have yet another folder in that folder, my Absolute Path may look like this: '/var/www/html/folder/folder'.

Just got back from a week in Death Valley hiking and shooting photos. Just checked in.

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds