Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla or Mambo

• Cubfan
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Joomla or Mambo

Posted 18 years 3 months ago
    • Mine is in Mambo right now, with lots of stuff, community builder, etc. How much of an effort would it take to move it to Joomla, and what would be involved?
    • zerolight
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Don't know if it's like this for everyone, but I just ran the mambo 4.5.2 to Joomla upgrade and all worked fine straight out the box. Took me 10 mins. Of course the mySQL database is still named mambo_something_or_other ;)
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• doesn't alwasy happen like that but it's nice when it does ;-)
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
    • Cory Webb
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Cubfan wrote:
      Mine is in Mambo right now, with lots of stuff, community builder, etc.  How much of an effort would it take to move it to Joomla, and what would be involved?

If you are running Mambo 4.5.2, I have found that the Joomla installation is really pretty easy. There is a good tutorial at this location: help.joomla.org/content/view/818/132/

What it basically boils down to is unzip the Joomla release, upload it to your server, and let it overwrite your existing Mambo files. All that it overwrites is the core Mambo files. Components like Community Builder stay in the same place undisturbed.

I would go to that tutorial and follow the steps. Don't forget to back up all of your files before you do anything.
    • W Shealy
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Joomla!

Although I still have an old site on Mambo that I'll probably keep as a place to test.

I think when Joomla 1.1 arrives hard choices will have to be made.

I use Remository and Glossary componets a lot. The developer is part of the new Mambo core team so I don't expect future versions to support Joomla. Which concerns me. This is going to be true too of future Joomla componets that use the new API 3PD stuff they won't work on Mambo.

::sigh:: This is the downside of the divorce.
  • Re: Joomla or Mambo

• All sites converted to Joomla 8)
    • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Fox
    • Rocketeer

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • Is there really any difference between them at this point ?
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• actually joomla has significantly more bug fixes and security fixes compared to the latest mambo. just look at the change logs.
  • Re: Joomla or Mambo

• CHK wrote:
      Is there really any difference between them at this point ?

It's not so much a question of differences at this point. It's a question of the path each one is on for the future. They will diverge more and more. Which development team do you want to ride down the mountain with? I find Joomla a much more active and helpful community, and Open Source lives and dies by it's community. Many of the 3rd party developers who work on components I use have stated they will not support both, and are sticking with Joomla. Many of the template guys claim they will support both.
    • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Seems that the latest version of Mambo, re 4.6 requires some changes for templates to work. I've not fully looked into the implications of this but I will have to see what this means for future mambo support.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds