Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Macs, Joomla, WYSIWYG, and Safari

• Whoey
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Macs, Joomla, WYSIWYG, and Safari

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • Hey Mac junkies, I have a problem, I have a client on a MAC who uses Safari (or sometimes the AOL-browser he says... <shudder>) to browse the web. I've just converted his old plan website into a Joomla based site to make it easy for him to update.

I've read on the Joomla forums that Safari & WYSIWYG editors don't play well... (we found this out when he couldn't paste/type into the body of a new content window) Any advice on solving this problem (we've disabled wysiwyg on his profile, but that removes a lot of functions we'd rather have) is installing another browser such as Firefox the only solution? (personally I only use Firefox... but I'm on windows...)

Any ideas/suggestions?
    • I'm an Individual, just like everyone else...
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Macs, Joomla, WYSIWYG, and Safari

• I'm afraid i'm not the best person to ask because i personally loath the wysiwyg editors available so use none. Hopefully someone else has some advice :)
    • Whoey
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• To be honest, I think even if it only had some basic font stuff (bold/italics) and paragraphs etc... seems like the new editors have about 5000 extra icons to do things you may only ever need once in your life, if that.
    • I'm an Individual, just like everyone else...
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• i agree with you, i've not found a simple clean xhtml compatible editor for mac or any other platform. still looking though.
    • cmyksteve
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• I ran into a similar problem- Mac browsers not working with serveral of the Joomla editors.

I had no luck with using Safari or IE 5.2 with any of the editors.

Firefox (requires Mac OS X) is working but watch the versions of Firefox if you're using the third party editors.

I prefer the upload and other extra image features in mosCE 1.0.3, but it won't work with Firefox 1.5.

I've found mosCE and TinyMCE work OK with some older versions of Firefox. This is working for me- Firefox 1.4, Joomla 1.0.7 and mosCE 1.0.3.

Here's a link to Firefox 1.4 http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/2005-09-30-05-mozilla1.8/ (which also shows up as 1.5 Beta 1 in the about Firefox screen).
    • Last Edit: 18 years 2 months ago by cmyksteve.
  • Re: Macs, Joomla, WYSIWYG, and Safari

• I'm a Mac User and I use WYSIWYG PRO in all my installations of Joomla.

It's from www.wysiwygpro.com/ and is a simple plugin. You have to pay for it though.

Anyone else using this editor?

If you want to try it on a Joomla site let me know.

JH

• Have had lots of compatibility problems between MOSCE and Firefox and Safari... particularly when pasting text of going back to edit text. Would recommend tmedit - I've had no problems with it with any version of firefox or Safari.
      Tricai

• Jocelyn Hetrick wrote:

JH
      Been using it for 1,5 years now (on Windows though). Excellent WYSIWYG editor.
      Are you suggesting you're giving away licensed copyrighted software?

• My personal experience with wysiwyg editors on the Mac is that none of them work completely flawlessly. Sometimes features that work fine one day, won't do so well the next. This despite nothing else having changed. I keep switching between editors sometimes when this happens, though there are days when none of them play nice.

In terms of overall compatability, Firefox 1.0.4 does best on the Mac, with TMEdit or mosCE or even HTML Area3. Very often though, I have to switch to HTML Source and use my admittedly poor coding skills to create links and such.

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • Rene Kreijveld wrote:
      Jocelyn Hetrick wrote:

JH
      Been using it for 1,5 years now (on Windows though). Excellent WYSIWYG editor.
      Are you suggesting you're giving away licensed copyrighted software?

Giving away licensed software?? Where did you see that in my post? All I was saying was if someone wanted to try the editor I would allow them to access a demo site where I have it installed.

JH

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds