Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SplitMenu/SuckerFish/SuperSuck​er configuration help

• Ken Nunes
    • Jr. Rocketeer

SplitMenu/SuckerFish/SuperSuck​er configuration help

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • If you are a newbie like me (I started on Mambo/Joomla in August 05) chances are, you will spend many hours trying to understand how the split menu actually works on OneMoreTime and Bubblicious. (Really great templates by the way).

It took me way too much time and many hours before I understood how the split-menu actually functions. Now that I have made it, I would like to share this joy with the rest of the newbie world:

FIRST THING TO UNDERSTAND: You only get involved with the split level issue when you start creating the website root in the MENU area ie where you have the choice of: mainmenu; othermenu; topmenu or usermenu. For split menu to function, choose the mainmenu and follow the next steps:

STEP 1.
      1. Split menu utilises the mainmenu as the menu selection ie (mainmenu, as opposed to: othermenu, topmenu, usermenu).
      2. When in mainmenu, you will create NEW and you will say create a Table-Content Section.
      3. On the left side of the table-content section sheet, you will see the Parent Item: Choose TOP: lets say you call this “ABOUT US”
      4. ABOUT US as a Parent Item: TOP assigned item will appear in the horizontal bar across the top of your template.
      5. You then create NEW again and then you choose, say, Table-Content Category.
      6. In the Parent Item: assign to ABOUT US: Let’s say you call this MISSION and save. When you go to the web page, ABOUT US will appear in the horizontal top bar, and MISSION appear in the top left side of the site under the heading ABOUT US MENU.
      7. From here on, any item you assign to ABOUT US, will appear in this vertical area.
      8. Put another way: Which ever items you assigned to these “top” Parent Items will show up at the top left hand vertical side of your website, when you click on the top-level horizontal menu.
      9. You just repeat the process for all the other items you want to appear on the TOP Horizontal Bar of your website and assign the related items to these TOP assigned items to appear in the vertical menu area.

STEP 2 – THIS IS ALSO IMPORTANT:
      10. In the Module Manager area, you will need to UNPUBLISH the module name: mainmenu.
      11. If you do not do this, all assigned items in the mainmenu menu (detailed in Step 1) will appear on the vertical column of your website as well, below the top level items that you have assigned in step one.

You will obviously have to create your sections and categories and items, but this is the standard part of the Joomla website construction.

If you have any questions that you want to ask, please come back. But don’t ask me any technical stuff……..

Newbies - Let me know where the description can be improved.

Ken
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by Andy Miller.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: SplitMenu/SuckerFish/SuperSuck​er configuration help

• Ken, this is a great post! Thanks for the information.
  • Re: SplitMenu/SuckerFish/SuperSuck​er configuration help

• Thanks Ken, your comments are very helpful and much appreciated!
      I hope other relative newbies will share their newbie experiences with new newbies while they can still remember what it is like.
      (to be a newbie)
      :D
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Posted 18 years 1 week ago
    • Ken, I'm relatively new, although I've been using Mambo since august 04. However, I'm not a programmer but learning PHP.

Question.: I read the post on Split Menus, but I'm still at a loss because I really don't understand when to use that function. What's the advantage over a regular type of menu? What the difference?

Thanks, Ken.

dave

www.sddpa.com
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

Posted 18 years 6 days ago
    • Tell you what - i have a problem with the Internet Gazette Template and the SuckerFish drop down Menu. It is constanty showing vertical and will not go horizontal -

Any ideas
    • Ken Nunes
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 17 years 11 months ago
    • Dave,

The split level function (as far as I am aware) is an Andy identity cards. I really don't know anyone else using this feature on Joomla...but I could be wrong.

For me, the function is the ideal is you are using a TOP BAR as the main menu, as opposed to the more general left or right located menu.

What the function gives you is an easily locatable second level, which can then easily identify the third level.

You have discovered that Joomla works with Sections, Catageories and items....these are three levels...

So that the Section will be located at the TOP Bar and the Category as the second level to the left or right of the template.

I really like this function as the user is clearly in command of the site at all times....main themes are clearly identifies and from there you can create a host of different second level specific areas.

I am actually using OneMoreTime on a site I am at present creating [url=http:// www.sustainablesolutionseurope.com ] www.sustainablesolutionseurope.com [/url] which will give you a very clear idea about what I am trying to explain in too many words. I only started the site today, so there is not too much content...but at least you will see what I mean from the structure.

Hope this helps....and sorry for the delay in response..

ken

• OK I followed your great directions to a "T" an dcannot seem to get the split menu work ing at all...I've been using joomla/mambo for about a year or so so I'm familiar with the whole system...the split menu worked fine in the stock template but as soon as I made my menu s it no longer appears...any thoughts?

fo ran example, go here an dclick on services: thevipcg.com

• ok got it working! nevermind... :-\
    • Ken Nunes
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Josh,

It would be interesting for you to let me know what exactly you didn't understand about the initial description I posted on the SplitLevel issue, cause if you have had problems having followed the description to the "T", then there will be other Newbies having the same difficulty.

You help for improvements would be appreciated because I am aware that it's not perfect...and it should be...looking forward to hear from you...

Thanks,

Ken
  • Re: SplitMenu/SuckerFish/SuperSuck​er configuration help

• Ken,

I too followed your instructions to a "T" and could not get it to work until I found this post which solved my issue:
      BROKEN LINK REMOVED

- Jon Glazer
    • Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Kat05.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds