Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

RokSprocket PHP 8

• RokSprocket PHP 8

Posted 2 years 3 months ago
    • Hello,

I was wondering if there were any plans to update RokSprocket / RokCommon to PHP 8 compatibility?

I've checked around and haven't seen any mention of it.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: RokSprocket PHP 8

• No, no plans as rokcommon and roksprocket are basically at the end of their life. We won't be doing any more developments on either.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Christifur

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: RokSprocket PHP 8

• What will replace thier functionality? Is it now a part of core gantry 5?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• There are many particles included in Gantry 5 core and RT themes that can replicated much of the functionality provided by the old roksprocket - it very muchg depends what you want. A complete list of all the RT particles can be found here https://rockettheme.com/forum/gantry5-for-joomla/274835-gantry-5-particles-the-matrix-v1-14 - check out the theme demos to see them in action.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Michael Walker

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Posted 2 years 2 weeks ago
    • I'm really sad to hear that RokSproket is going away. Particles are too granular for my template applications. I don't want to create a template for the 50 different pages of my site that use unique RokSproket modules.

Or can you apply particles outside of templates?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 2 years 2 weeks ago
    • Huh? You can use a particle in a module wrapper (Gantry 5 particle module) then it's just another module just like roksprocket is. You do not have to create an outline (template) for every page of your site? You can just put a "module position" particle on the layout of your outline and assign any module that you like into that module position.

Regards, Mark.

Posted 2 years 1 week ago
    • Thanks MrT. I manage a site (and it's content) with 1000+ pages and don't always pick up on all the product features.

I did just look throught Rocket Theme's documentation and the idea of using Particles outside of templates is pretty well hidden. Also, the site needs a demo of the particles and what the different configuration options output looks like (as you do with extensions). I see particles in template demos, but there's no details on the specific configuration to the example. Or, again, am I missing something?

I appreciate your help!
    • Last Edit: 2 years 1 week ago by SCC webmaster.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• https://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/particles/position

I don't think it's hidden.

I guess you probably familiar with Gantry 4? In that you just create modules and assigned them to module positions (as defined in the template - so you got a map of those positions). In Gantry 5 it's no different but, you yourself, create module positions on the layout (wherever you like and calling them whatever you like too). Then you just assign modules to positions just like you always have in Joomla.

It's really worth taking the time to read the Gantry 5 documentation and also load yourself a "rocketlauncher" copy of one of the more recent Gantry 5 templates (because they've improved over time) and you will see exactly how everything is done.

Regards, Mark.

• What we all "think" is based on our perspective. I'm humbly sharing mine (a 3 year Gantry 5 user), not a RocketTheme employee, in hopes to make your products even better and successful.

In the link you provided all the images and video talk about particles in a template. Downloading a rocket launcher, installing, and disecting a module is an incredibly combersome way to figure out just one specific configuration of a particle. If you look at your documentation for Extensions ( rockettheme.com/joomla/extensions/roksprocket ), there's a complete breakdown and screen shots of every configuration option.

Having that level of particle documentation would help user adoption of particles replacing a Roksprocket module. Roksprocket is getting a lot of visibility in your main navigation for a product that's in its sunset stage. I had no idea until I ran into a problem and dug through the forums.

Again, with appreciation for an excellent product and support.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok thanks for your input. We had to simplify our documentation as we lost our permanent technical author. So, unfortunately the documentation in this regard is not going to be improved. We're a very small team now and we just don't have the resources to make that any better than it is.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds