Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Featured Items Setting

• Featured Items Setting

Posted 12 years 10 months ago
    • Hi,

I must be going cross-eyed - how do I set a product to be "Featured" ... I have disabled the default products and setup some new ones but can not find where to set the flag to show the Featured banner.

The New and Sale banner works but not featured.

I am enjoying exploring the template, even though there are not a lot of "extras" - been a while since I worked with Magento so am getting familiar again.

Thanks for releasing the free template, makes the learning process more affordable.

Allan
  • Re: Featured Items Setting

• I found the solution -

I setup a new Category called Featured Products and assigned the Products I wanted to appear in the Home Page featured display.

I then went to System - Configuration - RT Rokmage Modules - Home Page Tabs and assigned the new Category as the "Select featured Category" ....

Worked like a charm.

:cheesy:

Allan
    • Sam Mahoney
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Featured Items Setting

• Yup, there's just the one way to add featured stuff and that's through a category, as you figured out above. Our RokMage FeaturedProducts extension lets you do it either through a category, an attribute, or by selecting from a multi-slect list of the stores products.
    • STEP 1 IN MAGENTO DEVELOPMENT - DISABLE YOUR CACHE OR YOU WON'T SEE ANY CHANGES.
      Use the new "secure" tab when replying for privately sharing links.
      Check the "Useful Snippets" post for tips.
    • Sam Mahoney
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• And no, there's not a huge amount of features, it's really just to give an indication of what you can expect from the Club. There's only the 2 extensions included with the free Quasar, whereas you get 12 with the Club version (same with the other templates too). And there are a lot more configuration options for the other extensions too.
    • STEP 1 IN MAGENTO DEVELOPMENT - DISABLE YOUR CACHE OR YOU WON'T SEE ANY CHANGES.
    • Chi

Posted 11 years 2 months ago
    • For some reason, this is not working for my site. I've tried both selecting an attribute and also creating a feature products category. In both cases, it defaults to the first 14 items in the catalog when listed alphabetically by sku (or if I turn on randomize, it randomly selects 14 items from a catalog of 4000+ skus). Also the featured list only lists around 100 of the most recently added items. I can't seem to scroll past that limit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Sam Mahoney
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Posted 11 years 2 months ago
    • You need to select a category from the HomepageTabs config page:

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • Anders B
    • Rocketeer

Posted 10 years 6 months ago
    • Resurrecting thread as I'm having serious issues trying to get the RokMage Featured Products to work with something other than just Categories (Ximenia theme top be precise). Basically, no matter what I do, from making sure a Category is selected and the correct attribute is ticked (along with products set as being set as featured through the attribute), I get random products appearing instead of a list of products that are set as featured through the specific attribute.

Is there something wrong with the queries? How it recognises attributes? Do I need to perform some some of dark ritual in order to get it to work? A bit of help would be greatly appreciated to see just what I need to do for this, as with the way the shop is going to work, I can't use the Featured Categories method (the store is sync'd with an external source for product data, so attributes like categories get overwritten, but other attributes like features which aren't in the import are fine).
    • www.boxchilli.com/our-services/web-design/
    • Sam Mahoney
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• There's a detailed explanation in the tutorial video here - www.rockettheme.com/magento-tutorials
    • Anders B
    • Rocketeer

• Sam Mahoney wrote:
      There's a detailed explanation in the tutorial video here - www.rockettheme.com/magento-tutorials
      That didn't really help at all.

The problem being described that when I've set the FeaturedProducts extension to use the Featured Attribute, it ends up selecting products at random, regardless of whether they have been set as featured or not in the product itself. The section displaying the FeaturedProducts is the HomepageGrid, and it works fine when set to display from a Featured Category. But it just won't work with the Featured Attribute option.

The tutorial posted just covers getting things set up, which is stuff I've already covered in getting the featured products section set up in the first place. It is only afterwards did I notice one of the options not working correctly and generating erroneous lists of featured products.
    • www.boxchilli.com/our-services/web-design/
    • Sam Mahoney
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I just double checked to be sure and it's working fine for me. Did the following:

1. Went into FeaturedProducts config, set following:

Get Featured Products: Featured Attribute
      Select Featured Attribute: featured

2. Went into a product, in Featured Product tab selected "Set as a featured product: Yes".

3. Went into HomepageGrid config, set "Filter products by: Featured Products"

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds