Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

New to Gantry5 - Page building

• Re: New to Gantry5 - Page building

Posted 3 years 10 months ago
    • Mark;

I have read through all the Gantry 5 documents, but they mostly focus on how to modify areas, I hope to get to that point soon. What I am struggling with is adding pages; basics. I see that Outlines can create unique styled pages, but creating the actual page like "Donate" that have URLs (Hushabyenursery.org/Donate). I created pages in the WP pages area, but I do't see where to edit the content. I am mising some basic steps.

Thanks;
      Jim
    • Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jim Burke.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: New to Gantry5 - Page building

• I would have looked at your site but the login details no longer work.

I am not really sure what you're asking - this is just basic Wordpress...

Create your page
      create the menu item for that page in appearance > menu
      click on the menu item in the frontend to go to that page.

In the above the "base outline" will be used to render that menu item which should have a "page content" particle on it's layout - so you should see you page content. Now, if you want to get more fancy and add other things on the page then you may to choose to create an outline too, assign that outline to the menu item, then add any other particles you want on the layout of that outline.

That's it.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Mark;

Thanks for being patient - I am sure I will have a head slapping epiphany at some point. I have created several WP sites and even some HTML/CSS sites from scratch, (all self taught, so that's a problem) but the Framework model process is something I am missing, it is different. The typical WP page edit is something completely different. I am sure I am conflating terminology as well.

Using Gantry5 and Topaz theme, I did, as usual, create page names using the standard WP interface (appearence>menu) and named it 'MAIN" menu (Donate; Leadership; HOPPE classes; Mission etc.)

When you say 'Frontend' I assume you mean the Gantry5 "Topaz Theme" area, correct?

Going there, I do not see any of the pages except HOME since it is a outline already.

In the Base Outline area I do see a "Page Content" block, but no editing abilities. I thought that Outlines were templates to applied to pages anyway. Does the "Page Content" block use text from the standard WP "Page Edit"area?

I did fix the user access if you want to take a look.

Thanks for hanging in with me on this, I am determined to figure this out.
      Jim
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok so now you've given me a login that does not provide full admin access in backend? Please elevate to full admin rights.

Frontend = pages of your site on your domain and opposed to backend = admin area.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Mark;

Fixed login.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• What's the issue? all your pages are working fine? All those page use the "base outline" layout (because there is not other outline assigned to them). The base outline layout has a "sidebar" widget position and if you look at the appearance > widgets in Wordpress the widgets assigned to that position are showing and working.

Don't forget the base outline is normally shared by many pages so you don't want to start adding "page specific" content to that outline. You would be better off creating a new outline for each of those pages and assigning them to the menu items. Then you can edit the layout to add your other content (assuming you want to use other particles). You should also use inheritance on those outlines so that you don't duplciate the content on the base outline (e.g. for logo, menu, footer, etc).

So, everything is working fine... what is the issue?

Regards, Mark.

ps. Incidentally. you have actually put zero content into your pages?

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds