Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry 5.5.5 Auto Update

• Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

Gantry 5.5.5 Auto Update

Posted 2 years 5 months ago
    • Just received a notification a few days ago that my WP site (Interstellar theme) had updated. Gantry 5 Framework (from version 5.4.37 to 5.5.5). Everything seems normal, but not sure, as theme has not been updated by RT. I had backups, but when I restore the backup, WP immediately auto updates to Gantry 5.5.5.

In WP, can you just uninstall Gantry 5.5.5 and install 5.4.37? If not, how can I get around the auto update immediately kicking in when I restore from backup? What do you advise?

Thanks.
    • Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Dan Walker.
    • Dan Walker - Web Designer & Developer @ Top Webs Network
      Custom Joomla & Wordpress Websites
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Gantry 5.5.5 Auto Update

• You can disable the autoupdate for individual plugins in Wordpress. But of course if the autoupdate was previously enabled in the backup you are restoring then you will have to be very quick in doing that. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't suggest a way around that.

You are correct that the WP theme updates have not yet been released (apart from Hydrogen and Helium) - so you do need to wait before updating to G5.5.5.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

• Can I just uninstall Gantry 5.5.5 and install 5.4.37?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Only as long as you haven’t saved any menu in g5 menu editor because g5.5 moves the menu from flat files to the cms database.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

Posted 2 years 4 months ago
    • Will the Gantry 5.5.5 update be shown somehow on the WP compatability page?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Which page do you mean?

When we release product updates we announce them here http://www.rockettheme.com/product-updates - as you can see the vast majority of Joomla themes have been updated now - WP and GRAV themes will follow the completion of Joomla updates http://www.rockettheme.com/joomla-templates-compatibility-matrix .

Hydrogen and Helium theme updates for WP and GRAV that are compatible with G5.5.x are already released.

Regards, Mark.
    • Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Yup, I dare say that will be updated too.

Regards, Mark.
    • Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

• I'm still confused about whether WP themes are updated to work with Gantry 5.5. When you go to the download page of Interstellar WP, it shows:

Interstellar Theme (Standalone) 7.8 MB 1.2.3 Download
      WordPress RocketLauncher 28.9 MB 1.2.3 Download
      Gantry 5 Framework for WordPress 5.5.7 Download

To me that indicates it should work with G5 5.5.7. However, the theme has not been updated since 2021-05-20.

If the download page of a WP theme shows G5 5.5.7, does that mean the theme is updated to work with it? If not, you need to change your download pages.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I will clarify for you...

Will it "work" - yes - but it depends on your definition of "work"...

Gantry 5.5.7 includes a new version of the scss compiler - this is far more strict than the previous version. As such much of the scss in existing themes will fail in the new compiler. This is why we are updating all the themes to modify the scss so that it does compile in the new compiler. As a fallback operation, we've made G5.5.7 detect when the scss fails to compile in the new scss compiler and then to try again using the old scss compiler so that sites "work". But... the price you pay for this is that sites can dramatically slow down since it often means the scss has to be compiled twice to make the site "work".

So, this is why my advice has been consistently to wait until the themes have been updated before moving on to G5.5.x

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds