Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Is it just me is is gantry slowing things down?

• marinus
    • Elite Rocketeer

Is it just me is is gantry slowing things down?

Posted 14 years 1 month ago
    • Hi, just noticed the gantry forum...
      i do agree it adds a lot of functionality but i also feel it has made things a lot slower.
      specially when you safe the settings from the template admin....,it counts about 13 seconds.
      you can see it waits a long time for the /admin/widgets/etc..

i do have my doubts if its all a good thing...
    • Subscribed to Joomla + PhpBB template group.
  • Re: Is it just me is is gantry slowing things down?

• I don't think it matters if it slows admin panel down. It's user side that counts.
    • marinus
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Is it just me is is gantry slowing things down?

• well it does matter,as i administrate all my sites i require the same speed in the backend as i have in the front.
    • Subscribed to Joomla + PhpBB template group.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• It's definitely slower in the admin than say a regular joomla template, but it's doing a tonne of stuff. Basically it's doing a lot of ajax loading, javascript calculation. Also it's got way more configuration options, and all this stuff does take time to process. There are some things you can do to make it faster, the key one is to use a good browser with a fast JavaScript engine. Google Chrome, or Safari are great, and Firefox 3.6 is not bad. Also make sure you enable the Gantry Cache, that helps a lot too. Enabling GZip compression in Joomla, and a good PHP accelerator like XCache can make a big difference also.

There are definitely trade offs with having all this functionality, but we've tried to make it as fast as possible in the place it matters the most, and that's the frontend. The RocketTheme demo sites for example take about 1-2 seconds to load the admin in Safari 4, and compared to a regular 'simple' template that takes about .5 seconds, I think this delay is perfectly acceptable for administrators for the functionality it provides.
    • fewleh
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Andy, just a quick question re. gZip compression if you don't mind....If I'm using RokGZipper, do I need to set gZip compression in joomla config options to on or off? It's just i'm having a problem with one of my sites, opening two lightboxes when clicking on "view full size image" ...but only when rokgzipper is enabled....it works normally without it...but you can udnerstand how I would like rokgzipper running to cut down load times, but only have the lightbox open once?! Looks v. unprofessional. Here's a link, just incase you have a chance to check it out...seems like a clash between some rok modules though?

www.iquarium.co.uk/ishop/wall-aquariums/curve

Cheers for any thoughts :)
    • www.cityinsurance.co.uk
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• The gzip compression in the joomla configuration options is only for the page output. Ie, if you you look at the resources that any given page uses, you will see an html output from joomla, script files, image files, css files, etc. The gzip compression option for joomla only does that one html file. RokGZipper does the script and css files. You will need to setup an htaccess configuration to gzip any images or other resources you use.

regarding your problem it' hard to say exactly what the problem is, you really need to turn things off until you find the culprit that is causing the problem. Then you can add that troublesome file to the ignore options in the RokGZipper plugin configuration.
    • fewleh
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Thanks for taking the time to reply Andy, makes me think about some things....might have to get some gzipping going for the images on my site as they are quite major, but first to iron out the gzip issue. I guess first port of call is to add lightbox files to the rokgzipper exception and see if that fixes it, I'll have a look later tonight when I can get to it, and let you know a bit of feedback..strange though, as I would have thought that others would have had problems with lightbox & rokgzipper at some point? Searching the forums doesn't seem to highlight anything..
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• you using 'lightbox' or rokbox? lightbox uses jquery i think an is not going to work well with the other mootools scripts. RokBox has no issues though.
    • fewleh
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Thats the thing, I'm just using the default lightbox that comes with mynxx & vm...I don't immediately know how to change the type of lightbox it uses. Which is why I found it strange....it's just a standard mynxx, vm install....I then added 4 products (the 4 tanks), and made use of the standard flypages, browsepages (I may have made one or two layout changes right at the start, but nothing more). So, in theory, other people using this template, and then turning on rokgzipper would have the same error? I think I used another gzipper before I enabled the rok one....just to compare which was saving the most space. That's the only other thing I can think of that might have affected it, but I uninstalled that before activing rokgzipper. Hmm. Maybe it's a problem in the browse/flypage calling the script twice or something? But, then it can't be, because the problem is only there when gzipper is on!

It's not a huuge problem I guess, but it's just spoiling it a bit. Otherwise the site is perfect, I'd love to fix this little bug. Maybe its worth replacing the flypages / browsepages with the default ones again just incase I screwed them up at the beginning? If you have any more ideas, would love to hear them, thanks for your help
    • Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 14 years 3 weeks ago

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds