0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry Error with J2.5.5

• DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Gantry Error with J2.5.5

Posted 11 years 10 months ago
    • Jordan W wrote:
      Thanks, the problem with labeling people early adopters (which in this context has a negative connotation - like we should know better to apply updates so quickly), many Joomla updates have important security fixes (as you know) so early adoption is important.
      I most certainly wasn't trying to infer any negative connotation with that remark. I've been a techno-geek "early adopter" all my life and still have my Toshiba HD-DVD player to prove it :cry:

I suppose unfortunately like many things in life its a tradeoff, potential security threats minimized with the upgrade versus your site doesn't work.

As there are so many 3rd party security apps out, like Akeeba's awesome Admin Tools, my personal preference would be to enhance security going that route and wait for all the fallout from J2.5.5 to settle out before upgrading to J3.0
    • Jordan W
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• I can confirm this on another server entirely, also LiquidWeb PHP 5.3.13 running RT_enigma.

All steps reproduce and fix.

Jordan
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry Error with J2.5.5

• Just my 2 cents - I have better things to do than click on an update link on day 2 - I will let the rt experts go through 2.5.5 first.
    • Jordan W
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• mike2001 wrote:
      Just my 2 cents - I have better things to do than click on an update link on day 2 - I will let the rt experts go through 2.5.5 first.
      I hear you Mike, but that could be a bad decision if there are critical updates or security issues. Bottom line, it's hard to win in these cases. If you waited for the dust to settle and your site gets hacked, you almost certainly will be labelled a moron and an irresponsible Dev for not updating quickly. I've seen it many times.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Jordan W wrote:
      mike2001 wrote:
      Just my 2 cents - I have better things to do than click on an update link on day 2 - I will let the rt experts go through 2.5.5 first.
      I hear you Mike, but that could be a bad decision if there are critical updates or security issues. Bottom line, it's hard to win in these cases. If you waited for the dust to settle and your site gets hacked, you almost certainly will be labelled a moron and an irresponsible Dev for not updating quickly. I've seen it many times.
      To alleviate your worries Jordan, click here site:rockettheme.com hacked "joomla 2.5"

Some of the 450 results have to do with people upgrading to J2.5 from J15 because of a hacked site but the largest percentage has to do with people modifying our code and calling that a hack.

Of the TWO! entire security updates, only one is vital:
      High severity security issue, that allows unprivileged users to get admin access to a site running Joomla.
      This issue I have easily addressed long ago with Akeeba's Admin Tools.
    • RustyR
    • Hero Rocketeer

• The same issue here with Ionosphere template after updating to 2.5.5. The error appears when trying to administer the template. After clearing cache It disappear for a small period of time.

Warning: unserialize() [function.unserialize]: Function spl_autoload_call() hasn't defined the class it was called for in .../libraries/joomla/cache/controller.php on line 195
      Warning: unserialize() [function.unserialize]: Function spl_autoload_call() hasn't defined the class it was called for in .../libraries/joomla/cache/controller.php on line 195
      Fatal error: plgSystemGantry::getMasters() [<a href='plgsystemgantry.getmasters'>plgsystemgantry.getmasters</a>]: The script tried to execute a method or access a property of an incomplete object. Please ensure that the class definition &quot;GantryRegistry&quot; of the object you are trying to operate on was loaded _before_ unserialize() gets called or provide a __autoload() function to load the class definition in .../plugins/system/gantry/gantry.php on line 299
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry Error with J2.5.5

• True Jordan, but there is always a risk - too many people know what the Joomla developers are working on anyway - even security fixes...

That is why I focused on locking down my sites - moving everything I can out of the public folder including php and db config files as well as changing admin usernames, having a unique db prefix and good passwords...

The only risks I believe I have now are lost orders that I would have to rebuild from emails and potential inventory issues.

I am now working on a solution to write new orders locally when they arrive on live site...

Don't get me wrong, I will update - just do not want to have a gun to my head if I intentionally break a working site.
    • Jordan W
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thanks Dan,

This conversation can go on indefinitely.

There is a bad incompatibility introduced for many RT users running J2.5.5. Our updating proclivities are not the issue here. I suppose it's just bad luck the 2.5.5 broke many RT sites. 2.5.6 is on the way today apparently, but no word whether these RT issues are addressed.
    • Brian Towles
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Geekus Maximus

• Howdy all,

I know 2.5.6 is coming out but I still have not been able to replicate this in order to see what the issue really is. I have an idea but not a way to actually see/test. If anyone has a site with this happening that I can have access to (admin and ssh/ftp) that would go a long way to helping. PM me if you can help.

Thanks
      -=Brian
    • Jordan W
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Brian Towles wrote:
      Howdy all,

I know 2.5.6 is coming out but I still have not been able to replicate this in order to see what the issue really is. I have an idea but not a way to actually see/test. If anyone has a site with this happening that I can have access to (admin and ssh/ftp) that would go a long way to helping. PM me if you can help.

Thanks
      -=Brian

Sent.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds