Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 5 ready for Joomla 4.0 upgrade?

• Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 ready for Joomla 4.0 upgrade?

Posted 2 years 7 months ago
    • To me, upgrading to Joomla 4 seems to be a similar task as upgrading a site from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 (yes, I have migrated a lot of Joomla sites and I fixed a lot of issues in jMigrate tool). Basically, most of the styling is broken and needs to be redone. And to do that you need to go through Bootstrap migration guides 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5...

The only difference is that instead of manually migrating the database, this time you need to migrate your code.

Basically it means that you need to go through all your clients and offer migration as a paid service to ensure that their sites will not stop working after update.
    • Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Matias Griese.
    • The following users have thanked you: MrT

• Gantry 5, enjoy!
    • Rae French
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT Consultant

• Mark, you missed my point. It isn't the features that my clients are stressed about. It is the perceived impression that something should be done that is not being done. This can only be understood from a web _hosting_ company's perspective. I've been doing this for almost 30 years now and I can tell you, it is real.

I think that I can turn off the emails to the site admins in the Users management. I still have to figure out how to turn off the notifications that appear at the top of the Control Panel. If you know how, please let me know. I think by eliminating the visual notifications, I can buy a bit more time.

Yes, wasn't the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.5 fun?!
    • Best wishes,
      Rae
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

• Yes, upgrading from Joomla 1.5 ro 2.5 was a lot of fun. I had only a few hours per site to do the quick and dirty update and after a few, I had automated a lot of it.

BTW: If you're looking for Gantry 5.5 test packages, check out this link: github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues/2789
    • Gantry 5, enjoy!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Well sorry If I missed your point but I think all my comments still apply anyway. J1.5 to J2.5 was huge, J2.5 to J3 was quite big and now J3.10 to J4 is definitely a big migration. Joomla have spent the last 3-4 years creating J4 so that shouldn't come as a surprise.

I can't do much about Joomla's mailshot but regarding the notification - In Joomla updates > options make sure that you're on "default" updates channel - as long as you're on that I believe the notifications only will tell you about J3.10 being available. J4 shouldn't be in notifications unless you're on the "joomla next" updates channel.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Twiggliscious
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Joomla KungFu!!!

• I don't think I've ever had to do it...so forgive me on this...

If there is a J3.10 security update...in the next two years...how will joomla install that without going to 4.0...I'm not seeing how that works...

And can Joomla be set for J3.10 updates and to ignore 4...for the time being.

Once again, I've never been in this situation with joomla, so forgive me if the questions seem ignorant...I really don't know and can't find answers.

I appreciate the help and patience.

Mike

• Mike-

"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be." – Mandalorian saying...
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• So as the checker is referencing j4that means you must be on the joomla updates “joomla next” channel rather than “default” so change it to “default” - see my previous screenshot. When joomla release a security update it will show that a joomla 3.10.1 update is available and only update to that. This is why joomla released 3.10 at the same time as j4.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Twiggliscious

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Twiggliscious
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Joomla KungFu!!!

• MrT,

Yeah, it was set to default and still pulling that J4 info...

Any ideas?

Like I said, this issue is super new to me...

Mike

Edit: So I clicked off default, then clicked default again and hit save...and it worked...so that was odd...
    • Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Twiggliscious.

• Mike-

"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be." – Mandalorian saying...
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I have noticed that one you update to j3.10 you have to log out and log back in again for some of the things in joomla updater to take effect. That just goes to illustrate my point the these changes joomla have made may have bugs for these brand new versions.

Regards, Mark.
    • Rae French
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT Consultant

• Thanks, Mark. Setting the Joomla Update Option to Default does remove the notice on the control panel for 4.0. We are also adding a module in the Administrator Control Panel to alert site admins about version 4.0.
    • Best wishes,
      Rae
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds