Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Php versions later than 8.0.30 won't run with Deprecating Gantry 5.5.16

• SOLVED Php versions later than 8.0.30 won't run with Deprecating Gantry 5.5.16

Posted 7 months 3 weeks ago
    • Hi,
      I recently upgraded to Joomla 4 using my existing Salient template. I used MigrateMe4 to complete the upgrade. Everything worked well, and is all working properly. I've since upgraded to Joomla 4.3.4 - and running the latest Gantry 5.5.16

I'm using Siteground, and in Site Tools, PHP is currently set for "Manually Set" and set to version 8.0.30, but I am receiving this error:
      • Your PHP version, 8.0.30, is only receiving security fixes from the PHP project at this time. This means your PHP version will soon no longer be supported. We recommend planning to upgrade to a newer PHP version before it reaches end of support on 2023-11-26. Joomla will be faster and more secure if you upgrade to a newer PHP version. Please contact your host for upgrade instructions.

I tried changing it to "Managed PHP", and the latest version available is 7.4.33, (which as an even older version) gives me a similar warning message about being obsolete....

So I went back to Manually Set, and tried the next newest version PHP 8.1.22, and now everything on the site front end is now annotated with
      • Deprecated: htmlspecialchars(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/customer/www/grubersystems.com/public_html/templates/rt_salient/html/layouts/chromes/gantry.php on line 31

This error is generated from Gantry.php, line 31.
      I'm not sure what would need to be adjusted to fix this so it doesn't mark every element on every page as "Deprecated" (as shown above).

I read somewhere that this may be a problem inherent in Version 8 PHP that a future version of PHP 9.x might address, or possibly Gantry might address with a future update.
      Is there a "fix" so that I can change to a later version of PHP at some point?

This isn't a good way to start my journey into Joomla 4 with an incompatibility problem between Gantry 5 and any PHP version later than PHP 8.0.30.

I know this is likely a Gantry vs PHP issue, and likely not related to Rockettheme, but I'm trying to exhaust all possible options.

btw, I've read a few references that this error may be related to use of Search, but in my case, I am using Smart Search, and have turned off the old Search plugins entirely.

Thanks
    • Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Gary Sande.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: SOLVED Php versions later than 8.0.30 won't run with Deprecating Gantry 5.5.16

Posted 7 months 2 weeks ago
    • "Deprecated" is just a notice message, not a service impacting error, concerning the way a function was written but the function itself is still fully supported.

Gantry is fully functional with PHP 8.2
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • fw114
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Php versions later than 8.0.30 won't run with Deprecating Gantry 5.5.16

Posted 6 months 3 weeks ago
    • No it's not.
      If you try for example captachas that are none google ,

you run into an error that the captacha is not corret solved.

also atom does not work
      Whoops\Exception\ErrorException
      …/src/classes/Gantry/Framework/Atoms.php 73

issues.joomla.org/tracker/joomla-cms/38921
    • Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by fw114.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• No, actually, that's exactly what deprecated means. Even in your own post its acknowledged that these are warnings, not errors. If you're saying Joomla isn't fully compatible with PHP 8.2, that's fine, you're free to say that, but Gantry 5.5.16 is fully compatible with PHP 8.2. Will it throw deprecated warning messages during certain functions, yes, yes will. Do those warning messages break any of the functionality that Gantry 5.5.16 is providing? No, no they do not.

If you have your error reporting turned up high, the error reporting itself may halt functionality, but not because the function itself failed, because Joomla's error handling raised it to a level where Gantry's Whoops handler (which can also be disabled) it told to halt.

5.5.17 seeks to address most of these deprecated non-service-impacting warning messages, which you can help test over here if you'd like: rockettheme.com/forum/gantry-framework/2...ntry-needs-your-help
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Bigfly
    • Rocketeer
    • New on Rockttheme

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds