Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

menu won't stay open on tablets

• menu won't stay open on tablets

Posted 8 years 3 months ago
    • Greetings,

I am using Gantry 5 Hydrogen theme and when using an iPad or Surface in horizontal mode, the dropdowns open when tapped, but won't stay open long enough for the person to tap one of the items in the dropdown.

I did modify the menu size via custom CSS.

cottage-grove.org

Would someone be willing to take a look and offer some advice as to how I can fix this issue. I could switch to mobile menu for the horizontal sizes, but the client is not interested in this. Also, on the iPAD pro, the mobile menu doesn't kick in, and the dropdowns do not work. Again, they won't stay open.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks!
    • Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Robyn Lingen. Reason: enhance clarity
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: menu won't stay open on tablets

• I just tried your site on my ipad in landscape mode and the menu works fine for me. You briefly tap on the menu and the dropdown opens and stays open until you tap a child item or another menu item?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: menu won't stay open on tablets

• I think it may be working on some tablets and not on others. My client made a little video of what he is experiencing. You can view it here. It appears the dropdown doesn't stay open long enough to give people the time they need to read and select a submenu item. You can view the video here.

www.dws-city.com/dropdown.mp4

Thanks much!
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• I would suggest to make the parent-menu-item a "text separator" instaed of using a link to real content ...
    • The following users have thanked you: MrT

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• What browser, device and versions is your client using please? But, yes, it's worth following Henning's advice too...

But the menu works fine for me as it is on Iphone and Ipad.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• My client reports three devices: Surface 3 and iPad 2 & 4 all with the latest updates.

I have an old iPad first version. On that one, the menus don't drop down at all, and my entire menu is flush left instead of right. That of course in my CSS problem I'm sure. But no dropdowns at all. Its not my iPad so I can't update it. It has the original iOS!

Three of the top menu items are text separators. About, Resident Info and Doing Business. They don't appear to stay open any longer than the menu items with links. I notice there is a template update. I'll run that and see if it helps.

Thanks again!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Please see video of my ipad - it works fine for me? http://screencast.com/t/LB1b0cW5LB8

I stress that it is a brief tap that you have to do on menu item - if you press too long it will open that menu item.

Regards, Mark.

• Someone reported this same issue when reviewing my website on an ipad. I just tested it and have the same results. Briefly tapping, lightly tapping, etc... results are the same. User cannot click on a dropdown menu item as the main menu link connects to linked page. And making the main menu item a text seperator is not an option as the owners of the site prefer those be linked items.

Is there a way to force the menu to go to responsive on ipads/tablets? I noticed on the original posts site that he made it responsive.

Btw - I'm using anacron template and my site is: www.spikefrog.org

Thanks!
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• I need the main menu item to be a link and from what I understand, I can't make a text seperator menu item clickable? Is that correct?

Is there any documentation showing how to force the menu to become responsive on tablets/ipads?

Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds