Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 3.0

• Twiggliscious
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Joomla KungFu!!!

Re: Joomla 3.0

Posted 10 years 8 months ago
    • Did anyone else receive the survey RT sent out this week...I mentioned a lot about Mission Control on that survey...

One of the biggest things to me is client-base and connections...

I've been with RT for years, because it's the best template club I could find for joomla. But I was amazed that over the course of these past few years there have been a couple cases where email servers had been mis-configured and customer emails had been in limbo...it was handled...but the fact it happened more than once was odd...was the first time my red flags went up about customer connections...how do you go that long without wondering why your email traffic has tapered off...

Then, you'd think more connections with your user base would be important...I found out through another company about the upcoming template updating feature Andy's team has been working on...it should have been a buzz hyped by RT...not second hand information from another company...

It would make sense to get a monthly newsletter, that outlined upcoming features...issues (like oh by the way when you update to RokBox 2 make sure you do these three things on J2.5...that caught me totally off guard)...Like most people I don't sift through the literature on the site...I hit the forums a few times a month when needed...and I expect things to work...or a major update should get a newsletter mention...by the way we updated something that may affect the behavior of your sites...

Mission control was beautiful...it worked...was appealing...and was very intuitive...and like the poster above was a selling point for my clients...it helps that people get lost and hire me to go back in and fix things because they are lost...but, I'd much rather have something they could use and move on to the next project...I spoke a lot about this in my answers on the survey...maybe they'll listen...

I tried a few years back to get an audience with Andy as I was living in Granby, Co...I really...really...REALLY...wanted to write for RT. I'm not the best coder, but I'm in education and I know how to write really well...I can take documentation and make it sound great, and it's nice working for something you believe in...I never got past the front door of RT and they didn't think my Joomla KungFu was strong enough...but I saw the need then as I see it now...for client connections...

Mission Control was a client connection on a lot of levels...RT...I hope you're listening...

Mike- :mrgreen:

• Mike-

"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be." – Mandalorian saying...
    • Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-time web developer

• Hi Mike,Mike Bentley wrote:
      I hope it's not because it's free that Mission Control is not getting the love.
      I guess you could say that, but it would be more correct to say that a lot more clients use and pay for the club extensions which is why they get priority. But even saying that isn't the whole story. There is a lot more coming out the second half of 2013 which includes RTv3, all new documentation, etc. These are very large projects and RT staff is putting in a lot of time to develop them. Some have been in production for over a year. More here: www.rockettheme.com/blog/team/1874-rocke...r-2013-status-update
      Mike Bentley wrote:
      As a newbie it was the single most important extension that made Joomla bearable, and as result I signed up here for a period, so it generated you some money.
      I'm a voluteer so it didn't generate me any money, but I get what you mean.
      Mike Bentley wrote:
      The "same place as we were before" was 7 months or so in the past - does that mean nothing similar is coming this year ?
      I'm saying that these major projects will be finished before further development on MC continues.
    • B e courteous to staff and members that volunteer their time helping you
      E ssential Tool - FireBug
      N ever assume I know what version you're talking about

S earch the forum for a solution first
      I nclude a link to the problem
      M ark your resolved issues as [SOLVED]
      O nly PM moderators if they request it first
      N o...
    • Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hi topwebs,topwebs wrote:
      We cannot move anyone on to Joomla 3.x, as Mission Control is not updated.
      You probably don't need to worry much about Joomla STS releases. Unless you know something the rest of the Joomla community doesn't know about J3.x ;)
      topwebs wrote:
      A bit mystifying to me why it doesn't seem apparent to RT that Mission Control is pretty important to web designers clients.
      That's not what is going on, no matter how much the voice in your head says it, lol. Trust me, I understand that you rely on updates to RT extension and templates, we all do. When Andy is finished with the big stuff, we'll see if MC can get some love.
      topwebs wrote:
      I, for one, would appreciate a roadmap, with estimated ETA for things like this. Even if you miss a milestone every once in a while, at least, we would know you were working on it.
      I think I've been pretty clear when MC we'll see some updates. Right now it is not being worked on.

N o...
    • Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hey people,

I'll let you know as soon as I have an update on the MC scandal :shock:

Nothing new to report right now.

N o...
    • Twiggliscious
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Joomla KungFu!!!

• BS,

Scandal...LOL...nice...

Mike-

• Mike-

"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be." – Mandalorian saying...
  • Re: Joomla 3.0

• Ben Simon wrote:
      Hi Mike,Mike Bentley wrote:
      I hope it's not because it's free that Mission Control is not getting the love.
      I guess you could say that, but it would be more correct to say that a lot more clients use and pay for the club extensions which is why they get priority.

I would very happily pay for the added value that Mission Control provides, not only for me but for my clients who can experience a customised control panel.
    • Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hi Mike,
      Looks like you missed quoting the second half of the paragraph. Here, let me help :)Ben Simon wrote:
      ... But even saying that isn't the whole story. There is a lot more coming out the second half of 2013 which includes RTv3, all new documentation, etc. These are very large projects and RT staff is putting in a lot of time to develop them. Some have been in production for over a year. More here: www.rockettheme.com/blog/team/1874-rocke...r-2013-status-update
      Mike Bentley wrote:
      I would very happily pay for the added value that Mission Control provides, not only for me but for my clients who can experience a customised control panel.
      Are you saying that you're willing to pay the J3.x development cost of MC? But seriously, don't get too distracted by this Free vs Club business. In reality MC will most likely get more attention when the larger projects finish, regardless of it being free or not.

N o...
    • Twiggliscious
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Joomla KungFu!!!

• BS,

You know what would be a cool T-Shirt...Bring Back Mission Control with a "Houston we have a problem?" under the RT & MC logos!

I'd buy that too!

We should start a campaign...or a crowdsourcing project...LOL...

Mike- :mrgreen:

• Mike-

Posted 10 years 7 months ago
    • I was just dropping to see if there was a J3.x version of MC when I saw this -Ben Simon wrote:
      Hi topwebs,topwebs wrote:
      We cannot move anyone on to Joomla 3.x, as Mission Control is not updated.
      You probably don't need to worry much about Joomla STS releases. Unless you know something the rest of the Joomla community doesn't know about J3.x ;)
      Please don't take this wrong Ben, but this is the worst advice I have seen in this thread. Joomla.org recommends J!3 as the preferred version. It's the first download listed and even explains why you should use J!3 in the FAQ. Obviously I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would bet that the vast majority of new installs are all J!3. We are using J!3 for all new sites and have started working on updating J!2.5. We'll be completely on J!3 by the end of the year.

Like Mike Bentley said, I think most people would be willing to pay regular template price for MC. However, not having any idea when work will begin, much less lead to a stable release it is difficult to not look for a replacement. As with many things, once we move away from MC, we won't be coming back since. It's just too much effort to change things for dozens of clients. I really hope you guys put this in to development soon.

Posted 10 years 7 months ago
    • Any news on Mission Control for Joomla 3?
    • "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds