Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Community Builder, JomSocial or...? What do you prefer?

• Re: Community Builder, JomSocial or...? What do you prefer?

Posted 12 years 5 months ago
    • [quote=" in regards to spammers signing up and spamming via the site(s) email function, this was a major problem. .[/quote]

Never get a single problem like that. Have you used the CB Captcha plugin for protect your form? What do your mean by "Spamming via the site email function" ?

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • what i don't like about jomsocial is - well, all of the social stuff. CB is best I've found for simply adding usability to a profile. Like, for sites where the users will not interact at all. For those sites, CB is nice and universally accepted - with plenty of plugins. I do use jomsocial on sites where there is interaction between the members though.

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • I prefer Jomsocial, it basically depends how experienced you are.
      Jomsocial is somewhat more stable and reliable, looks better also and it's more built around integration with potential 3rd-party applications.. It all depends on your requirements and furthermore your experience..

From me as a developer, i prefer jomsocial then the spagetticode of CB
    • Marcus Westin
      Programmer
      NZD Securities, Inc.

1 Penn Plaza, Office 6271
      Manhattan, NY 10119 USA
      E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • tazzarkin
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Community Builder, JomSocial or...? What do you prefer?

Posted 11 years 11 months ago
    • You guys don't mention anything, but it seems like a lot of Community Builder add-ons are IonCubed, while JomSocial add-ons are not.

Does that play a factor in whether or not to use one over the other?

• tazzarkin wrote:
      You guys don't mention anything, but it seems like a lot of Community Builder add-ons are IonCubed, while JomSocial add-ons are not.

The only CB addon who are Ioncubed is CBsubs and all is own plugin...all other CB stuff is open source... CBsubs is the most powerful tools for manage anything about registration/subscription and I use it with great success.
    • tazzarkin
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• dotcom27 wrote:
      tazzarkin wrote:
      You guys don't mention anything, but it seems like a lot of Community Builder add-ons are IonCubed, while JomSocial add-ons are not.

The only CB addon who are Ioncubed is CBsubs and all is own plugin...all other CB stuff is open source... CBsubs is the most powerful tools for manage anything about registration/subscription and I use it with great success.

Thanks so much for your answer.

Is any of the JomSocial stuff IonCubed?

• Stay away from JomSocial, it is buggy and support always responds it is not a bug or blames the user.

Using JomSocial 2.6.1 I reported few bugs, all responds were not a bug, such example is user registration which I created a video and posted for them but they still responded as not a bug.

You decide.
      When a user tries to register but doesn't complete registration form, the user still receives registration email, see video

According to JomSocial this is not a bug, this is only one example of their support.
    • VirtueShop

• I personally prefer jomsocial over CB. Unlike Peter I have had great support from Jomsocial and I find it easier to work with than CB.
    • Chrisps
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 11 years 9 months ago
    • For a pure community driven website, there's no question, and it's a no-brainer, that Jomsocial is miles above and beyond CB. I mean, there really is no comparison. If one wants to just extend the registration beyond what Joomla offers, then CB is fine. But for a real social community, CB cannot touch any aspect of Jomsocial.
      Someone complained that they frequently release updates and fixes: Well that isn't a problem for me. I actually consider it that they're being extremely proactive and addressing all issues as they arise.

As for functionality, you 'may' be able to get what Jomsocial offers out of CB by installing tons of plugins and modules and spending hours and hours hacking the code. And then, you have a site with lots of plugins and mods installed, and that equals a slow site and a heavy burden on your server.
      Jomsocial comes ready out of the box with much more than what is feasible with CB. And with the new addition of the Tigra Framework for Jomsocial (developed by EUCSO) you have endless possibilities for the look and feel. If you use reCaptcha for registration and Akismet to filter status updates, spam won't be a huge problem.

Like I said, if one is building a true social community, you would be crazy to not go with Jomsocial. At this point, in today's age, there's not one single advantage (or reason) for using CB over Jomsocial. We've been a customer for nearly 3 years and have gotten very good support from them. I honestly don't have one single thing to complain about Jomsocial. It's simply more powerful than CB, no question.

Posted 11 years 9 months ago
    • I wish there was a Jomsocial Lite - something that would simply increase the field capacity for the user without all of the social stuff. Sometimes I just want a nice-looking way to get more profile fields, but do not ned the full-blown aspects of Jomsocial.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds