Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Community Builder, JomSocial or...? What do you prefer?

• Re: Community Builder, JomSocial or...? What do you prefer?

Posted 11 years 8 months ago
    • Adam Parker wrote:
      I wish there was a Jomsocial Lite - something that would simply increase the field capacity for the user without all of the social stuff. Sometimes I just want a nice-looking way to get more profile fields, but do not ned the full-blown aspects of Jomsocial.

You can use Joomla 2.5's 'User - Profile' plugin.
    • VirtueShop

• Peter Osipof wrote:
      You can use Joomla 2.5's 'User - Profile' plugin.
      that's not really custom though - don't you have to use their fields (limited to address and a few others?)

• not keen on hacking core files though
    • YeeP
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: Community Builder, JomSocial or...? What do you prefer?

Posted 11 years 7 months ago
    • I am going through this same decision right now. I built a site with CB in it, back in Joomla 1.5, and it was a long process in terms of getting everything setup. I know that when a new version came out, it was also a pain to update and make sure all of the plugins were still installed correctly.

However, if you spend some time reading the reviews of Jomsocial on extensions.joomla.org, it seems like they have some serious support issues (or lack there of). I have no idea if I will need some support, but for $150, I better get something. Also, I will have to modify the CSS files at least, to get it to match my template from rockettheme.

Any recent experience with Jomsocial?

I sent them an email this morning with a subject line that just says "pre-sale questions" Just to see how long it takes to get a response. Still have nothing.

• CB is my choice for websites that need a lot of customizing. With some of their plugins, you can do almost anything. I find it really easy to upgrade actually.

Jomsocial is good but only for, well, social sites. I wish there was a jomsocial lite - just their added profile fields and none of the social stuff.

I havn't seen many issues with jomsocial's support. was ok when I needed it.
    • YeeP
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Adam, do you have any examples of a heavily modified CB install? I just am curious to see how far it has been taken.

The site I am working on does not need a deep infrastructure of social networking. It needs people to be able to check out profiles, possibly upload videos and that is about it. Maybe send each other messages or chat. That seems doable on both sides of the spectrum. The most important part to me however, is making it look like the template.

• I use CB Profile Pro ( www.joomduck.com ). It allows you to style your profile, edit profile, and registration pages anyway you want. Nice to have a easy-to-read edit page. I create sections using typography instead of the tabs. one under another - very easy to read.

I also use CB conditional which allows you to have a step-by-step registration which looks very nice.

I use the auto actions plugin to do some SQL work when people register or save their profile. specifically I have the plugin run an SQL query on the person's name to be sure the first letter is capitalized and the other letter lower case. this way people who use all caps or all lower case are all ignored - everyone's name looks the same.

I use the password strength plugin which is just ok. It's so strict that I think it can cause users to use a different password than they would usually use and then they'll forget it. It will only show "strong password " when you have a ridiculously long and complicated pw.

I use the cb_fields module which allows you to add CB fields into modules and content. So, I can make a module that says if {cb_2012dues>0} then "Hi {username}, your dues are all paid up!" else "Hi, {username}, please click here to pay your dues"

jomsocial doesn't have these extras. So, in my mind, CB is very powerful if you know how to use it.

most of these extras are in the incubator: www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/incubator

• I confirm what Adam say about CB...

All CB stuff are just amazing and I use also all addons described by Adam and many more.

I use also the excellent CBsubs who is an impressive subscriptions membership management with tons of options and features. Actually no others component can compete with CB and best of all their Pro support is excellent. You get always concise and quick reply to all your questions.

I host also several sites using their own CB redundant hosting services who are tailored and optimized for Joomla and CB. Before I had my own Virtual Private Server but I left this solution because my VPS was not redundant and I got many annoying downtime.
    • Chrisps
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• I understand what you guys are saying about CB, but still... even just out of the box, CB is in no way, shape or form any comparison to Jomsocial for providing true community site functions.
      You're having to add lots of plugins, mods, etc, hack this or that, just to get what Jomsocial gives you out of the box. Plus you're adding more strain on your site and database with adding all those plugins. Why? What's the point?

And with the addition of Tigra framework and chat system, If it's a true 'real' community site you're building, CB simply does not come close to Jomsocial.
      If configured properly, Jomsocial is quick and efficient, and looks a million times better than any CB powered site I've ever seen.

Nothing against CB personally, but for me, it's simply outdated, and looks atrocious without a lot of code hacking. No thanks. JS walks all over CB any time of the day... and has for a long time.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds