Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Vs Wordpress

• xtianus
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

Posted 12 years 3 months ago
    • I will no quote the last post because it is STUPIDLY long... Verbose in a BAD way. Joomla to me at the version of 1.5 was way ahead of WP in functionality and scalability for building a full on website. K2 in fact closed the deal for me because it now made Joomla have great blogging capabilities.

A couple things happened... Joomla's 1.5 was at its zenith for what the old archetecture that ribbed from mambo. At the same time WP upgraded to 2.0 and now in its 3.+ went through great improvements that brought it much closer to the capabilities and functionality of Joomla - if not the same.

With that said, Joomla at the same time moved away from the old archetecture to 1.6 which is the new framework for Joomla going forward. This provided huge growing pains, now defunkt and useless extensions like K2 which were integral in making Joomla buzz.

IMHO - if WP passed JOOMLA during this period then it was something Joomla had to do in order to be the leader in the long run.

With the new release of Joomla 2.5 I believe Joomla is firmly back on track and is poised to continue on as being the better of the two CMS frameworks. Finally the old extensions, i.e. like k2 are making a comeback as well.

and for the guy who posted all that NONSENSE ABOVE...

www.seblod.com/ PERIOD... now get a life
  • Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

• very informative post @pigshyte

Working with Wordpress does seem to be more time-efficient compared to Joomla...
      great set of software you pointed to also...post bookmarked and archived for reference
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5

• I don't wish to get into any slamming match with the chap that decided it was in his best interest to tell me to get a life. Since it was my first ever post here and took 2hrs to write because I did it from my iPhone switching from page to page to try find the right links, yet write it in a light hearted way. I had made the effort to try be informative on the simplicity of how Wordpress can make life in building custom sites.

I did not wish to go into more advanced modules as you had pointed out, however now you have done so, I will inform you Wordpress 3.3.2 has just as strong capabilities with the alternate to cck. The cck you point out is simply a rewrite of the original cck for Drupal, and yes it is a fantastic module for building custom content types. However what both lack in function compared to Drupal is the combination of views cck and panels.

Look, I have been where you are, stuck in my ways, not wanting to venture into something I thought was inferior. Then I tried it... Joomla was my preference every time, thick and thin. But when I truly ventured Ito Wordpress I found I could develop a site in half the time, not feel constrained where I could place my content as Wordpress doesn't use regions, you can build out each and every page however you want with very little limitation.

Now, what I found in the power of Wordpress was that you could go and buy a theme for $35, and it already has all the functions built right into the framework of the theme. Slideshows on any page, events calendars, table bookings, price tables, contact forms, google maps, store finders, toggles, tabs, buttons, graphs... all built right into a theme, letting the end user use the theme right out of the box with custom content types built in ready to go, no need to install any extra heavy weighted modules.

Wordpress left behind that old feeling that it was only a blog in version 2.8.. Things really started to happen to make it a full blown cms from ver 3.0 allowing drag and drop interface so much more user friendly and intuitive than joomla or drupal could ever be. However if you want advanced functionality, then there are plugins for each and every scenario.

Should this post not be well written or be of bad verbose, then too bad, my style of writing comes from the heart, and I guess that is why I am not such a good writer. I prefer to teach people how to do things when they get stuck.

I kind of thought this topic was to assist others questions on what Wordpress can do rather than flaming another person. Oh well... Have a good day.
    • Kathy Rose
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Freelance web development and design

• Oh dear. In starting this topic, I did not want to incite a contest of any sort. I have really appreciated the insights and the information.
    • Kathy
      KT Web Design
      developing Joomla websites in the sweet, sunny South
    • Dan L
    • Elite Rocketeer

• @xtianus: I'm not sure why you have taken so much (apparent) offense to pigshyte's long reply. He's obviously passionate about what he does, so calling his reply "stupidly long" and "nonsense" isn't necessary. Just because you didn't get anything from it doesn't mean nobody else will.

I think you kind of highlight the problem I have with Joomla in your post. I do wonder where all the bloat comes from in Joomla. You get a package that (in the grand scheme of things) doesn't really do a lot out-of-the-box in terms of functionality. So, as if it's not bloated enough, you have to add to that with a tonne of even more bloat with extensions like K2 and Seblod. Bear in mind WP can do native blogging (of course) AND has CCK functionality OUT OF THE BOX, and it's a fraction of the size of Joomla's distribution. From what I can gather, J! 2.5 is absolutely massive too, scary stuff.

Joomla also has this massive reliance on Mootools and makes you jump through hoops to disable it from loading. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes this reliance would be eased a bit, and looking at a huge percentage of extensions that use jQuery, I'll bet there are a lot of devs out there too that wish the same...I mean, loading several JS libraries is bad for a number of reasons and just makes me cringe when I see the state of some websites. WP has no such reliance (the admin uses jQuery but is entirely separate), you are free to use whatever you like, and the distribution even comes supplied with several so you can choose for yourself.

Without wanting to throw even more into the mix, and I can appreciate it's probably not entirely relevant for the template club audience, but having now completed a pretty complex development in ExpressionEngine, I can now say without any doubt that it's far superior to both Joomla and WP.
    • Toolbox Digital | Dribbble | Forrst

• There is a way in Joomla to prevent mootools from loading, to include jquery, to load it from CDN or local, to prevent different script versions from loading etc...you...just...need...another....plugin....
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • Dan L
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Yes of course - notice I didn't say you *couldn't* disable it, just that it makes you work for it - and it needn't be like that. A simple yes/no choice in the Global Settings is all that's needed.
    • oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Dan, Iàm just courios, you dont use joomla, you dont use wp, you dont use template, you write all code for yourself....why you are here? Really just courios about :D
    • Dan L
    • Elite Rocketeer

• oceano wrote:
      Dan, Iàm just courios, you dont use joomla, you dont use wp, you dont use template, you write all code for yourself....why you are here? Really just courios about :D

Where did I say I don't use J! or WP? I use both regularly, and many plugins for each system too.

I am here because I have been a member for a long time (I was a pro member, then a moderator for 2 years), and felt like chiming in on this thread since I have experience of WP after using Joomla for many years.

Just because I've moved on from the template club dependency (it didn't fit my business direction any longer) doesn't mean I should no longer post here :)
    • xtianus
    • Elite Rocketeer

• First, I must address this
      "took 2hrs to write because I did it from my iPhone switching from page to page to try find the right links, yet write it in a light hearted way."
      <<< LOL Your email ends in @mac.com doesn't it? It's cool it's cool. Sorry for the get a life that was not needed.

But Dan, I have to break your spirit a little bit here. You're quote below is ridiculous and I am being nice about putting it that way. I am not a DEV, I am do not write my own code form JQ or Moo2 or whatever the hell else. I am, if anything a graphic designer. While I am whipping up cool graphics (CSS and HTML), editing photos to perfection, and writing conent for my site I do not have the power and energy, at the present moment to be a developer on my own.

Most peoeple who come to Joomla or WP have the exact same needs and wants.

Create a great looking website and manageme the content in an easy and time efficient process. i.e. Content Management System (CMS).

Joomla and WP both do this extremely well. And as their versions grow in number the product will only get better and better.

Furthermore, places like rocketheme are amazing because they give an added bonus in getting started with a template to fit the users needs.

What I feel people should be doing a lot more of is learning CSS and creating edits on their own so they get the most out of the templates they are using. To that effect I wish RT would make lighter templates that could be more clean and customizable especially from the stand poing of one creating his or her own CSS and HTML edits.

Once you get out of the CSS and HTML editing and the usual cck / module / plugin management then I say you are pretty advanced and I would argue all day and night that ASP.net and C#, C++, HTML5, CSS3, and .NET framework is the place for you to go. Nothing is going to be more professional than that.

But I say BULL CRAP - BECAUSE TO ME JOOMLA and or WP is still better than that. Unless you have a budget and crack staff working on your site there is no way that 1 person could create in single all of the parts that Joomla and WP bring together for the average person.

For example, Acymailing plugin by acyba. What a ridiculously awesome plugin... What can you do that is anything like that plugin? NOTHING - except to go and buy mailchimp for thousands of dollars a month. ALL FREE and send email ads as many times as you wish all based on the Joomla framework.

Sorry, but I feel your quote below is missplaced and not accurate for the average person using a CMS for their web development needs. You are speaking from a staff agency standpoint and not from a real world application for personal site development aspect. IMHO

Dan L wrote:
      oceano wrote:
      Dan, Iàm just courios, you dont use joomla, you dont use wp, you dont use template, you write all code for yourself....why you are here? Really just courios about :D

Where did I say I don't use J! or WP? I use both regularly, and many plugins for each system too.

I am here because I have been a member for a long time (I was a pro member, then a moderator for 2 years), and felt like chiming in on this thread since I have experience of WP after using Joomla for many years.

Just because I've moved on from the template club dependency (it didn't fit my business direction any longer) doesn't mean I should no longer post here :)

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds