Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Vs Wordpress

• Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

Posted 11 years 4 months ago
    • I do use both formats, but I have to say after attending the Joomla World Conference last month I'm infinitely more excited about the future of Joomla than the future of WordPress. WP updates are always very minor in nature, and as stated, a lot of the backend functionalities are put on the theme developers which doesn't always make sense for everyone. WordPress development is a free for all, no MVC programming patterns, every developer does anything they like in any fashion they choose - plugins are hit or miss.

J 3.0 is trying to further separate content from functionality from design - compartmentalizing everything in an organized and logical way, and also unify the way developers work with the Bootstrap standards so plugins and themes do not clash as much and the workflow becomes easier for everyone. How well that works remains to be seen but at least they are trying to bring some standards in for everyone.

My opinion is Joomla unquestionably going to be the top dog in a few years. Enterprise level companies like eBay are not only using it, but making significant contributions the the core for the upcoming versions.

Just my most recent take on it, I'll always use both because my clients do.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
  • Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

Posted 11 years 3 months ago
    • What I do like about Wordpress is how quickly the user can transition between editing a post, navigating admin options and browsing the front-end...and of course the tags and especially the tag "auto-complete" feature (although it is slow compared to K2 or ZOO ccks).

This might not seem as so important if the tags are limited and sort of given, but in a news website for example, having this "auto-complete" feature for meta-data, tags or keywords, is crucial for not creating too much of a mess and making the inter-relating of articles meaningful.

My nightmare is that I'll transition to Wordpress and then, within the span of a few months, Joomla will integrate
      - Tags, or support "auto-complete" for meta-keywords (e.g. show suggested keywords based on typed characters, like the Firefox tagging system)
      - Proper handling of "Featured" article images: if the current system was supplemented with an option to define sizes for diferent views (e.g. Blog or Article) and automatically add lightbox (optional) links to original images, it would be superb.

This is what I find crucial and is missing in Joomla, but is available in Wordpress. Besides that I am a huge Joomla fan.

Do you Joomla insiders have any clue if the above features are included in the Joomla development roadmap (for the near future)?
    • Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Cretan Studies Association.
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • Ingrid
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Just wanted to say thanks to Cretan Studies Association for the great list. I too like WP for simple sites.

Is there a free or one-time-purchase Akeeba equivalent for Wordpress that allows you to back-up or move an entire Wordpress installation? I only know of Backup Buddy which comes with a price tag and a per site license agreement.

• Hi there, the closest to akeeba and backupbuddy as a free option is wp-duplicator. We use this in our business model for migration.

• pigshyte wrote:
      Hi there, the closest to akeeba and backupbuddy as a free option is wp-duplicator. We use this in our business model for migration.
      Nice find! Duplicator does look great.

Question: Which is/are the best security plugin(s), the most functionally safe and effective?
      I have a very weak grasp of those issues to make an informed judgement on my own.
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5

• Ahh. Yes. Security is one of those things not to be taken lightly. The best you can find is security ninja. You can search for that at code canyon.

• Regarding security I have come up with two final contenders
      1) BulletProof Security
      2) Better WP Security

Have you used these two? Can you help me choose?

1) BulletProof Security is basically a htaccess administration plugin. It creates a new "enhanced" htaccess file and gives you the option to add custom code to it in predefined places, depending on function (what the code is for)
      Lots of code is inserted, making the htaccess file grow up to 30kb!
      I like how BulletProof Security breaks the htaccess down into "compartments" signifying that the order of htaccess rules matters. It also quite easy to manage overall.
      However, since it's functions / settings are not broken down into options or settings (i.e. "do you want to have this measure implemented?") one is not really involved in the settings one has implemented.
      So If something goes wrong I -being a novice- can't read all these lines of code and locate the offending rules.It's just inserted into htaccess as a "block".
      The developers believe this is best since novice users might actually make a mess and the code has been tested across hundreds of server configurations
      Still, since settings are not distinguished into options, it's even difficult to compare the plugin's set of functions to other security plugins.

2) Overall Better WP Security seems to offer many more functions, including e.g. changing the database prefix, the admin user id, login block etc
      It also breaks downs the security settings into distinguished options, so if I get a malfunction with the applied settings, I can safely uncheck one at a time and test to see which is the offending rule.

I wonder, though, if htaccess rules by Better WP Security are inserted in an organized manner, like Bulletproof does. Specifically, Better WP Security inserts its code block at the top of the htaccess file and doesn't control where other plugins place their code.
      In contrast, BulletProof Security informs you when another plugin (at least among the widely used ones, like WP Super Cache) need access to htaccess and seems to use tested criteria on where it is best placed.

I must say that I have also lost some faith on Better WP Security after trying the "hide login" protection and seeing it fail....the url slug to the new login or admin address does not work and in fact the "secret key" is displayed in the url field of the browser.

What's your take? Should I just try to use both, e.g. only using Better WP Security for its extra functions and leaving the rest up to Bulletproof Security?
      Sounds like a maintenance nightmare though...
      Which one do you prefer?

Cheers
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5

• Just came back to say I am thrilled with WP performance.

After setting up the cache program correctly (WP Super Cache), choosing good theme, setting posts to load the default WP thumbnails instead of scaled images etc, now most of the cached pages load under a second (lowest 960ms highest up to 1.6 sec) and the non-cached between 1.5sec and 4sec, without using any CDN or other special configuration...Less than 200KB "weight" and 94 out of 100 Google PageSpeed score..
      ...it's "click" and page view...awesome...

Speaking of awesome, another great plugin find:
      Media Library Assistant: Great way to manage your library by categorizing archives by tag and category, with custom and/or default taxonomies.

Wordpress does still look more CPU intensive than Joomla though...will certainly hit the roof once or twice a day, even without much traffic...rarely did I see these spikes with Joomla, even under load and less effective caching.
      It's database is twice the size of Joomla with the plugins I need to get it working as needed (still being conservative at it).
      Happy overall.

Still I trust Joomla more and consider myself a fan, but now I can see how some people may be kind of reluctant to look away from WP once they get it to work as they want.
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • Gene Page
    • Hero Rocketeer

• I don't know.

A year ago I would have said J! hands down. I'm still using J! over WP because of it's extendibility.

But as I mention in another post, I'm considering going 100% Cloud Based Services. If I went cloud, I don't think it would matter since I could embed Javascript into either.

Extendibility would no longer be an issue. It wouldn't matter who had the better ecommerce component since I would be using Ecwid. It wouldn't matter who had the better form builder since I would be using Wufoo. Etc and so on.
    • Show Support for These Requests...

Automatic K2 Tags for RokSprocket ->
      www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=16...86380&rb_v=viewtopic

Option for K2 Video instead of Image for RokSprocket (like JoomlaBamboo's ZenTools) ->...
    • xtianus
    • Elite Rocketeer

• to me Joomla was built from the ground up to be a website builder. Wordpress a blogging situation. To me, I can't even think about WP when building websites. Even a blog because of K2 is still Joomla.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds