Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

Posted 12 years 2 weeks ago
    • "I think owning any client's domain is just bad mojo."

^^^THIS^^^

We let the user do the domain buying, walk em thru it on the phone if necessary. If we have to get in to do the DNS (becaue they are THAT untechy) we specifically tell them when we are in and ask them to change passwords after.

I have had many horror stories of web developer owned domains which screwed the client after they pissed off the developer and left. Its better to leave the "deed to the ranch" with the rightful owners.
    • Behind every great website is more coffee and cigs than you can ever imagine.

• That's why I refer them to GoDaddy (which I cannot stand for any kind of hosting!)

They pay for their domain and send me an account exec invite. They don't have to do anything with the domain unless they just want to.
    • Thank you,
      Jason

Server #1: 4-Cores @ 2.3Ghz | 8GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.3-65.el5 | mySQL: 5.5.23 | PHP: 5.3.10
      Server #2: 8-Cores @ 2.5Ghz | 16GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.15-15.el6 | mySQL: 5.5.25 | PHP: 5.4.4
    • Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-time web developer

Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• When you use a NetEarthOne account (or most any registrar you resell for) with WHMCS, an account is automatically set up for the client at the registrar. You can choose whether you want credentials sent to the client or not.
    • B e courteous to staff and members that volunteer their time helping you
      E ssential Tool - FireBug
      N ever assume I know what version you're talking about

S earch the forum for a solution first
      I nclude a link to the problem
      M ark your resolved issues as [SOLVED]
      O nly PM moderators if they request it first
      N o...
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• I use NetEarthOne through my WHMCS and the domain is registered in the client's name with their details. They have full access to registrar and hosting cpanel and can lock me out anytime they like.

Of course, those that do and then screw up, end up paying lots of money to get everything fixed.

Fortunately I have a good relationship with my clients. I even had one go elsewhere because hosting was cheaper. He came back within 6 months and has referred other clients to me.

First rule of customers is to be honest and fair, even if the customer is a lying scumbag. At least my conscience is clear and I sleep soundly at night.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

• @David..

It sounds like youve got a good system.

Hostgator is lacking in the domain registrar bit and the WHM there only covers website hosting and not domain functions like purchasing and registering domains as far as I know.

To me the key is that the client owns and has control over the domain. You seem to have it covered. There is of course a small additional layer of separation if the client buys a domain off somewhere else and you have no direct access to it, but it sounds like, as any reputable registrar or host, you give them the control of their property.
    • Behind every great website is more coffee and cigs than you can ever imagine.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi SuperCharlie,

WHMCS is good, not quite perfect but pretty close. It integrates with numerous registrars so I still only have one place that I need to look for information.

It also gives the client the ability to make their own purchase and then I can add the registrar to their account, insert their renewal date and my system will send them reminders. It could even renew if they wanted. Of course there would be a little mark up on the usual fee for 'administration' but client still owns the domain and the account and transfer any of them at anytime without my knowledge or assistance. (Well I would get an email telling me they closed or changed their account).

Most of my clients like it. They also like that WHMCS lets them have a single account and single login for all their invoicing/orders/history etc.

I can't speak highly enough of WHMCS as it is a great system for designers that host websites. Even has the ability to create adhoc invoices with free text and pricing. Ideal for design invoices. Yet it has the automated hosting invoices too, with suspension that can be turned on or off by client.

But that's just my opinion :cheesy:

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

Posted 7 years 5 months ago
    • Hello, I am not sure what are you up to now, however I hit this thread online and I have read many good suggestions.

To answer your question WHMCS is a good solution however I personally think many web hosting have it and like many other things, when everybody has it, it isn't a unique experience. So for a freelancer or someone who just make some websites sometimes you just keep track of your expirations and manually renew them or get an easy open source free recurring billing system.

Speaking of web hosting, I think there are quite some good web hosting companies out there that can help you. In the beginning you probably just buy a shared account and renew it once the client has paid you. When your accounts start to go up sure, consider a Reseller Account

We personally use DMware, an Italian small web hosting company that takes care of everything from web hosting to website maitenance, that way we have to refer to only one company.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds