0 items Join Now

php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or servic

• Peter KORTGE
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Company Owner

php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or servic

Posted 11 years 4 months ago
    • Hi:

Nearly finished a new website at The Australian Naturist Federation running Joomla! v3.0.2 under Gantry v4.1.4 with template Fracture v1.4.

Starting from last night, I can't access any RocketTheme templates via [Extensions] -> [Template Manager]. I get an error message saying:-

An error has occurred.
      500 php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known
      [ Return to Control Panel]

Screen dump is below:-
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

But I can access default Joomla! templates OK.

Also, I get the same error when attempting to access [Extensions] -> [Extensions Manager] -> [Updates] -> [Find Updates]. Screen dump is below:-

Note: The only change to the site was that I installed YooTheme Zoo v3.0.5 yesterday and used it's "Business Directory" App.

I've run AdminTools to "Fix Permissions" and "Repair & Optimise Tables" and [Extensions] -> [Extensions Manager] -> [Warnings] only shows "The PHP temporary directory is not set".

Any ideas?
    • Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
  • Re: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or servic

• Can you try to check your server error log to see the actual error message and file that is responsible for this error on your site? Also, can you try to check your server firewall to see if access to rockettheme update web site is disabled somehow? I would say that Admin tools is guilty for this kind of behavior.
    • I am here to help you. But do not forget to write all information - joomla version and if possible link to your problem. No PM´s unless requested!!
      If you send access info in PM, write also link to your site and link to forum thread!!!
    • Peter KORTGE
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Company Owner

Re: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or servic

• Martin Stepanek wrote:
      Can you try to check your server error log to see the actual error message and file that is responsible for this error on your site? Also, can you try to check your server firewall to see if access to rockettheme update web site is disabled somehow? I would say that Admin tools is guilty for this kind of behavior.
      Hi Martin:

Thanks for the prompt response!

Freed up a bit of time to do some investigating. :cheesy:

Server Error Log show no error relating to this - screen dump is below showing two only "File does not exist" errors:-

Since YooTheme Zoo was the last installed component, I disabled all parts of the Zoo package and cleared the cache, but got the same error when I attempted to access any RocketTheme Site template.

So, I disabled AdminTools and cleared the cache, but got the same error again when I attempted to access any RocketTheme Site template.

I then turned on Joomla! Error Reporting - [System] -> [Global Configuration] -> [Server] -> [Error Reporting = "Development"] but no errors were reported :oops:

I then did a "Google" search on the Error message and found this link dated 3 October 2012 on joomlacode.org Tracker Item ID = 29430 which suggests it may be an unresolved Joomla! bug?
    • Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
  • Re: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or servic

• It looks like unresolved Joomla bug but just for the test, can you please try to reinstall Gantry and template itself? Also, can you try to remove any .htaccess file Admin Tools might put in place of the default one that comes with Joomla? I would also try to remove Admin tools completely and not just disable it
    • I am here to help you. But do not forget to write all information - joomla version and if possible link to your problem. No PM´s unless requested!!
      If you send access info in PM, write also link to your site and link to forum thread!!!
    • Gregg

• Martin Stepanek wrote:
      It looks like unresolved Joomla bug but just for the test, can you please try to reinstall Gantry and template itself? Also, can you try to remove any .htaccess file Admin Tools might put in place of the default one that comes with Joomla? I would also try to remove Admin tools completely and not just disable it
      I am having this exact same problem with the new Cerulean 2012 template. I get a 500 error. The PHP error output displays:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/xxxxx/public_html/administrator/templates/isis/error.php on line 114

Has anyone found out definitively what the problem is? Is it a Joomla! bug?

I'm using Joomla! 3.0.1 (stable)...

Thanks!

-Gregg
    • Gregg

• I did a little more research and the error_log also has:

==========
      [25-Dec-2012 21:25:22 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:25:22 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to :80 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:25:24 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:25:24 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to :80 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:26:52 America/Denver] PHP Strict Standards: Non-static method WFEditor::getInstance() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/xxxxx/public_html/administrator/components/com_jce/models/model.php on line 112
      [25-Dec-2012 21:26:53 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:26:53 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to :80 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:26:55 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:26:55 America/Denver] PHP Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to :80 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/http/transport/socket.php on line 251
      [25-Dec-2012 21:33:54 America/Denver] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/xxxxx/public_html/administrator/templates/isis/error.php on line 114
      ==========

It appears the hostname is not being set in a php variable? This looks like a Joomla! thing...? Hmmm!

Update 10m later: Never mind, it appears those were some other messages from earlier... The isis administration template doesn't display any HTML page when I click on the Cerulean template (Extensions -> Template Manager), but the Hathor administration template (after enabling) displays the error. I'm not sure what to attribute this to yet... This just started happening when I went back into the Cerulean template after having dinner... It was working fine prior to dinner...

Update 5m later: I re-installed the Gantry + Cerulean bundle.zip and it still doesn't work...

*** Update 30m later: I've installed a fresh Joomla! 3.0.2 installation... Actually, I did this a few times while trying to play around with the order of installing various RocketTheme Extensions... For example (all RT extensions compatible with J! v3.x; supposedly):

1) Install Joomla! 3.0.2
      2) Install rokfeaturetable
      3) Install roksprocket
      4) Install rokstories
      5) Install rokweather
      6) Install rokgallery
      7) Install Cerulean bundle

And it then failed with the 500. Installing the RT Cerulean by itself worked just fine (no 500 error). (I never let it sit long enough in this configuration though to see if I ever got the 500 error after).

I also played around with installing rokgallery first and then the other extensions after and it failed.

So perhaps there's something going on with Gantry files being modified, "upgraded" (or rather downgraded?), etc. etc.?

-Gregg
    • Uncas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Same problems here.

I can report a formula for success:

Install the following:

Cerulean bundle
      Metropolis standalone

RokGallery (all listed herein latest as of 12/26/12 from site)
      RokGallery - A Revolution in Image Management for Joomla

RokCommon Library installation was successful
      RokCommon System Plugin installation was successful
      RokGallery Component installation was successful
      RokGallery Module installation was successful
      RokGallery Image Picker Button Plugin installation was successful
      RokGallery System Plugin installation was successful

RokStories
      RokSprocket (ver. 1.8.2) - The swiss army knife of Joomla content modules!

RokCommon Library installation was successful
      RokCommon System Plugin update was successful
      RokSprocket Support and Admin Component installation was successful
      RokSprocket Module installation was successful
      RokSprocket support plugin installation was successful
      RokInjectModule plugin installation was successful

RokNavMenu for Joomla! v2.0.0

RokExtender Plugin update was successful
      RokNavMenu Module update was successful

RokAjaxSearch for Joomla! v1.3.0

RokAjaxSearch Module installation was successful

RokBox for Joomla! v1.4.0

RokBox System Plugin installation was successful
      RokBox Content Plugin installation was successful

RokTabs for Joomla! v1.9

RokTabs Module installation was successful

This is the only configuration of RT installs that works for me.

The next thing I installed, RokBooster, created the error again. Uninstalling it did not fix the problem. The error that shows up can be seen in two places: by clicking on Joomla Update (Component), and by going to Ext Mngr, Update, Purge Cache (or Find Updates).
    • Uncas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• UPDATE

I tried other sequences (see above) RokTabs is a certain culprit, RokBooster is not.

Uninstalling RokTabs fixes any afflicted site I've tested.

Installing RokTabs creates the error.
    • edfel
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 11 years 3 months ago
    • Hi:

I updated a site from Joomla 2.5.8 to Joomla 3.02 and same error. Uninstalled roktabs but error is still there. Happens with other Joomla templates too...

:cry:
    • Apache 2.4.23 | PHP 7.0.10 | MySQL 5.5.50 | RHEL 6.8
      Joomla 3.6.2
    • edfel
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 11 years 3 months ago
    • Hi:

Ok, In my setup problem was caused by plugin content -> media. Disabled it and access ok.

8)
    • Apache 2.4.23 | PHP 7.0.10 | MySQL 5.5.50 | RHEL 6.8
      Joomla 3.6.2

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds