Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Sorry but.....

• t17169
    • Rocketeer

Re: Sorry but.....

Posted 6 years 2 months ago
    • I was simply trying to recreate the template as displayed in RT demo before I even began to customize. Still can't. I used RocketLauncher. May I recommend you begin with an overview of the steps to recreate the demo instead of assuming all are capable of jumping around to where they need to go?

ie: To recreate the demo: 1) Navigate...choose this. 2) Go to particles. Choose this for header, this for etc.

If I understood the process, perhaps I could get this done. But RocketLauncher does not recreate the demo for me. I did peruse the Gantry documentation you linked, but again, I can't even get started.

When I first began learning Joomla in approx. 2005-6, I could not understand their documentation either. After 2 full days of trying to install, someone walked me through it. Then I wrote the documentation for the forums that ended up being viewed about 10K times. It helped others like me. Maybe I just need to hire someone to walk me through it. I don't want it done for me as then I will never learn.

I appreciate the help you guys are trying to give, but I just can't follow the documentation. I need something simpler, the way this used to be.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• If you used the rocketlauncher package that should have created an identical site to the demo (minus copyright images). if you could post admin details to your site in the secure tab of your reply I will happily look at this for you to determine why its not working. I will explain to you what I find.

Regards, Mark
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • t17169
    • Rocketeer

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to masteroleg, moderators and administrators
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok I can see exactly what the issue is. You have set up multiple languages (probably at the point of installation). See http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/joomla-general-questions/266191-using-the-rocketlaunchers-don-t-set-up-multilingual-setup-there where we point out that you should not do this. Multi-language set-up can be quite complicated and is a subject in it's own right - here is our documentation on that for in Gantry 5 http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/multilingual-site . What you actually have now is a "limbo" state where the multi-lingual set-up has stopped the rocketlauncher looking like the demo and is incomplete.

In fact, you've installed seven languages in total - so I can see why you are struggling.

But more than that, you actually changed the menu that came with the template that would have all the correct set-up with all the demo pages? This couldn't have happened by accident and is not what the demo provides as standard, so it must have been deliberately changed, so the question is why?

Let me explain further... The rocketlauncher content contains a menu with several menu items (each reflecting the different pages of the demo). We have assigned outlines (templates) to those menu items, which have all the content of the pages on the layout of those outlines. By removing all out menu items and creating your own menus instead you have in effect stopped all of the demo content from being shown at all.

Then, I have looked at your outlines (which should match what the rocketlauncher provides) but again, they don't. Even the most important outlines (e.g. the "home" outline) has been deleted (which contained all of the home page demo content).

So, it would appear to me that far from the rocketlauncher "not working", the content has been substantially modified or deleted which has now left you in this difficult to get out of state. It will be a long job to recreate all of the demo content again from scratch (more so for 7 langauges). So, to be honest, at this point I think the easiest course for you to take is to start-over with the rocketlauncher package, do the installation again (but for a single language) and you will get exactly the same content as the demo. Then study that in conjunction with documentation and you should be able to see where the content all is created. If you get stuck at any point, pause, then ask for help and we will be happy to help you to understand.

Again, I stress, stick to a mono-lingual site until you have understood how everything is put together. Edit all your content in that one language and you will learn rapidly what affects what. Having done all that you can then move on to make the site multi-lingual and again we'll be happy to help you with that.

I hope that helps.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • t17169
    • Rocketeer

• Thanks very much. I'll uninstall, reinstall and give it a shot.

Might be nice to add to the existing documentation: www.rockettheme.com/docs/joomla/platform/install_joomla_3x.md

(which only has) The first page in the Joomla! 3.x Web Installer is to select your preferred language. This can be done using the Select Language drop-down menu (point 1) on the Configuration tab within the installer.

(Add) When installing Joomla (as part of the rocketlauncher packages) Joomla offers the option to set-up multilingual. We recommend that you DO NOT do this at rocketlauncher installation time and instead add this later using our instructions here...(link)

As that tidbit was in forums, not documentation, and would not be obvious to someone like me until it was pointed out as you did. Now, it makes sense...the demo content could not be recreated.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I've asked @Ryan to update the docs in that regard to make that clearer.

The demo content would still have been created even though you added those other languages. It just wouldn't have been visible because the demo menu would not have been the active one and your additional langauge menus are not assigned to the demo outlines. But, even still, the demo content had actually been deleted after that anyway (i.e. the "home" outline), that is not something that could have happened in the installation process.

Anyway, hopefully now you have been able to get a rocketlauncher up and running with all the demo content. Let us know the outcome please.

Regards, Mark.
    • t17169
    • Rocketeer

• Thanks enormously for the help. I uninstalled and reinstalled using Rocket Launcher and it was easy without the language mistake, however, no images load in.

Is there a class offered in how to use Gantry? Sorry, but I still find it more complicated than Joomla or, at least, as much of a learning curve.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• t17169 - None of the templates or rocketlauncher packages contain images. All of the images are replaced with placeholder images as they are copyright and we don't redistribute copyright images. That said, in most of the demos (or their documentation) we state from where we obtained the images so that you can get them yourself (wherever possible we do try to use images from free sources - but we just can't redistribute them as part of our templates).

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: t17169

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds