Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

• Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

Posted 16 years 7 months ago
    • Hi all,

About 5 years ago I stumbled upon Mambo. Back then offered by Miro, an Australian company. Web development has become my life and work and I have gotten very acquainted with Mambo. Then all hell broke loose. Some legal stuff concerning Mambo which goes beyond my legal capacities. But all was not lost, there came Joomla.

At least that is the easy explanation. It seemed as Mambo died and Joomla had arisen.

Now this week I stumbled upon the official Mambo website, mambo-foundation.org/ And I was stunned, Mambo isn't dead after all!!!?? I was able to read a lot about the legal issues history and much more. But my biggest question that arose was not answered on any of their pages. What is the difference between Mambo and Joomla??? I have sent emails to the webmaster at the official website, but so far, no answers.

Is there anyone at Rockettheme.com that can explain the difference to the supposedly still alive Mambo and the current Joomla?

Hope to hear some interesting stories
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

Joomla Video Tutorials: www.joomtorial.com
  • Re: Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

• See: forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,72.0.html

Since then, Mambo and Joomla are increasingly different and the gap will continue to grow as Mambo now has a new development team, in contrast to Joomla, which is essentially the old mambo team continuing under the new name.

Thats the briefest summary I can come up with ;)

Sadly, their is so much emotion involved, this thread may well turn into a hotly debated topic.. dunno.. we'll see.
    • Brad Baker
      www.rochen.com - Managed Dedicated, Reseller & Multiple Domain Hosting.
      www.joomlatutorials.com - Learn Joomla! the easy way.
      You cannot tell which way the train went by looking at the track.

• Hi,

Thank you for the quick response!

As I read in the documents you pointed out, all seems based on a power struggle. Well in any case, amazing to what Joomla has grown in the years!
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

• Yeah, you could call it that. I think the recent history and growth of Joomla has shown we made the right choice though :)
    • Brad Baker

• You can say that again! I am a personal witness of that! Started with Mambo ± 4-5 years ago and if you look how it has grown into Joomla and how many people are using it, developing for it and what not. Amazing. Take for instance Joomlancers.com That shows you absolutely how much Joomla has grown!
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

• GollumX
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

• That thread linked to by xyzulu is a few years old and though the views posted were absolutely valid at the time, they are no longer applicable, as xyzulu well knows.

As I see it Mambo is much more open now, even more so then Joomla. Eg. At Mambo members get to vote in the members of the board. The dev team is accountable to the board so it is all really transparent and the community has a real say in the direction of the Mambo project. With Joomla the dev team have ultimate authority, and the community has almost no say, as was recently apparent. This is of course just my opinion and of course many will see it otherwise.

Naturally we who play on the Joomla side of the fence only get to hear the Joomla version of events, and no doubt Mambo has a different version. There is also the true version, which will probably never be published because there is no evidence to support it and nobody wants to get sued for defamation or slander.

As for the actual CMS, my opinion is that the current Joomla is better than the current Mambo. However, the next Mambo version looks to me like it will be better than J1.5. Still, I will probably stay with Joomla because of the much wider range of extensions. Perhaps after the extension developers got screwed by the Joomla team, enough of them might move to Mambo to make it a better alternative. That remains to be seen though.

You will notice emotion in my post, and It's obvious I have a great dislike for the current Joomla project and it's recent decisions. However, I don't let my personal feelings affect business decisions and at the present time, Joomla is the preferred solution. I hear things are on the rise at Mambo and will be glad when it regains it's former glory. How cool it must be to have a real say in where the CMS you use is headed :)
    • Say no to Internet Explorer 6.
      twitter.com/mark_up

• GollumX wrote:
      How cool it must be to have a real say in where the CMS you use is headed :)

I know, it's great, don't you just love open source :)
    • Brad Baker

• The real story is out there if you know where to look - but gosh, who really cares now and really, would it make any difference. As you say, gossip and intrigue are overcome by the cold, hard facts and Joomla! is better supported on virtually all counts by a factor of 10 (at least) over Mambo. It has the market share, it has the backing, it still has some of the developers that *made* the Mambo glory days, it has a reputation for not being afraid to make the tough decisions when needed, it's development process is completely open (public dev list, public source code tree), and so on. I think it's a pretty safe bet to stay with.

But to give the short answer to the original question. Miro+Mambo had agreed to take the project in one direction. Miro changed their mind at the last minute and gave us a take it or leave it offer ... so we left it. Simple as that. Since then Joomla! has continued to grow more or less where we left off from Mambo. What made Mambo - the strengths of the people involved. What makes Joomla! - the strengths of the people involved - some of the names just happen to be the same.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><
      The Art of Joomla - A Joomla Magazine - www.theartofjoomla.com
      JXtended - Empowering the Web - jxtended.com
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-Time Cancer Fighter!

Re: Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

• Nice response...
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
      A quote attributed to my Grandpa Wagers

• C'mon Andrew, there's more to the story than that.

Like why Miro changed direction so suddenly, then after the Dev team left to start Joomla, they then resumed the original path and handed the project over to the community after setting up the foundation properly and making it legally set in stone that the project would remain community owned, keep it's current license and prevent all the power from remaining permanently in the hands of a few people.

As pointed out, Mambo is now a primarily democratic process. I should know, I recently got elected to the board of Mambo by that very process.

Members can run for and vote for the board members each year.

For extension developers, the differences between the Joomla 1.0.x series and the Mambo 4.5 and 4.6 are relatively minor. 4.6 has a few differences.

4.7 Will be a good step up once it's finalized. Better than J1.5? Depends on who you ask and what your priorities are. J1.5 has quite a few more nice features care of the framework, but M4.7 will be standards compliant, with valid 1.0 XHTML and and CSS, and a totally accessible front end with all of the priority 1 WCAG recommendations, almost all (or all) of the level 2 and most of the priority 3.

4.6.3 already has many of the other features advertised for 1.5, or not in it, such as internationalization, a very sexy universal installer instead of 5... etc.

J does have the community and the extensions though yes, which for smaller developers may be more important.

The good thing is though, that both groups are going their way and obviously looking at different markets and priorities. Given a few more years both will be very different with different people wanting to use them.

As Brad said this is a sensitive question. ;)

Possibly even more sensitive than the GPL one. :o
    • Last Edit: 16 years 7 months ago by Daniel Chapman.
    • www.ninjoomla.com - The Ninjoomla Open Source Extension Club
      Over 50 open source extensions and 100 videos to you build the site you want.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds